Any interest in an Courtly Life AW hack?

• 4 Replies
Any interest in an Courtly Life AW hack?
« on: November 14, 2012, 03:42:20 AM »
So having played Joe Mcdaldno's Monsterhearts a number of times now. And prepping for an AW game. I've been bitten by the hack bug. I was struck by the idea of making a game about the intrigue, political mechanations and backstabbing of courtly life. Particularly within the Mughal Empire, (I blame Indu Sundearesan's books for this) however it could just as well work for any highly political setting.

Anyways, I had two questions. Number one, is there already a hack similar to his in the works? I'd hate to step on peoples toes, or to reinvent the wheel. Second, is there any interest for this concept? Or is it too specific and esoteric? I'd be curious to hear what people thought/knew. Since pretty much anything I do would be a labor of love it's not like I expect it to be "the next big thing" but if there is no interest outside of my personal hang ups I really don't see the need to spend so much time on something that might essentially be a pipe dream.

Re: Any interest in an Courtly Life AW hack?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 02:54:26 PM »
Well, I just played a session in a Game Of Thrones hack blending AW and MH. We all picked super social playbooks and it felt really good, if a little rough. We're working on some ways to file off the rough bits, but it definitely works so far.

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 10:39:00 PM »
I think that sounds really cool! It'd be interesting in seeing the results.

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 12:51:47 AM »
I think it's more important for YOU to be interested in it, if you are going to do it. Other peoples' enthusiasm isn't going to make you work nearly as hard as your own.

As for stepping on peoples' toes, you could always wait and see what happens with the various Game of Thrones type AW hacks (I have one too!) and see if you like any of them. But probably they will all be different, and you will have different ideas, too. Especially if you are influenced by the Mughals (which sounds pretty neat).

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 07:31:13 PM »
I'm interested.

Did some work on this idea previously: http://apocalypse-world.com/forums/index.php?topic=1633.0