Split Decision

• 3 Replies
Split Decision
« on: November 01, 2010, 09:45:07 AM »
Daniel Solis came up with a neat idea he calls Split Decision:
http://danielsolisblog.blogspot.com/2010/10/split-decision.html

It's a dice resolution system very close to that of Apocalypse World, except that instead of rolling just 2d6 and adding them together, you roll 4d6 and choose the two highest. The catch is that you're using 2d6 of one color (say, Blue), and 2d6 of another (say, Red), and the color of the two dice you choose has some sort of effect over the fiction or the mechanics of the game itself.

Has anyone thought of using this in AW? Can you imagine a way to do it that adds more than it takes away? Do you think it would add in too much cognitive decision making about the dice and distract too much from the game as it is meant to be played?

The first thought that came to my mind was actually a sort of Star Wars themed Apocalypse Galaxy, in which someone (such as a really nasty Sith Lord), has caused everything in the galaxy to go kerblooie, and now it's really hard to just scrape by anymore what with the pirates, raiders, and bounty hunters ruling the hyperspace lanes now. The Psychic Maelstrom would be the Force, naturally, and the Blue dice and Red dice would be the Light side and the Dark side, respectively.

Chris

Re: Split Decision
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 01:03:01 PM »
I was/am working on a sort of Canticle for Leibowitz in the middle east far future thing that still used 2d6. but they were different colors. One was the God die and the other was your die. You still added them, but the moves were slightly different depending on which was highest.
A player of mine playing a gunlugger - "So now that I took infinite knives, I'm setting up a knife store." Me - "....what?" Him - "Yeah, I figure with no overhead, I'm gonna make a pretty nice profit." Me - "......"

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 10:28:26 AM »
You know what's hilarious? In the first drafts of Apocalypse World, you rolled red and white d6, and red hits were different than white hits were different than mixed hits. Vincent could better explain why he ditched that plan, but he had reasons. IIRC, it made for more streamlined play to have it simply be 2d6, higher roll is better.

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 03:14:16 PM »
You know what's hilarious? In the first drafts of Apocalypse World, you rolled red and white d6, and red hits were different than white hits were different than mixed hits. Vincent could better explain why he ditched that plan, but he had reasons. IIRC, it made for more streamlined play to have it simply be 2d6, higher roll is better.

I remember seeing "Red Hit" in the playtest document and thinking "whaaaa?"