Steading Feudalism

• 3 Replies
Steading Feudalism
« on: November 04, 2012, 11:12:05 PM »
Maybe I'm just tired but...

I'm doing campaign prep after the first session of my first "ongoing" DW game (The Nordemark). The map started with a single Steading, the village Osterfell. I've determined it's a part of a Norse/Celtic-style "kingdom" with Jarls and High Jarls, etc.

Via the Oath tag its Defenses are bumped from the default Militia to a Watch. Its Oath is to the nearby Town of Valmark.

We haven't seen it in play yet, but I'm now putting Valmark on the campaign map and creating the skeleton of its stats. I know it's a Town that helps to protect the village of Osterfell. So I apply its -Defenses and its default Defenses of Watch slips to Militia.

The Town of Valmark now has lower Defenses than the Village of Osterfell.

This seems wrong...

noofy

Re: Steading Feudalism
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 02:42:13 AM »
Well, that's the case if you choose Valmark's one problem to be supplying troops to Osterfell. (I assume that you chose Osterfell to have fealty (Oath) during its creation?) That to me has all sorts of ideas for fronts and dangers to take advantage of the fact that all of Valmark's best troops are garrisoned in Osterfell. Also, why is this the case? Is Osterfell particularly important to the kingdom or under threat, whereas Valmark maybe in a 'safer' geographical location?

If you would rather choose another problem then do so, there are some rather evocative ones on the list. In which case, Osterfell's watch is bumped to Militia due to its Oath (another ripe story hook) and Ostermark retains its own Militia too.

Oh, and I know you are just creating Valmark Nemo, but don't forget narrative descriptive tags already determined in play will update prescriptively whats going on.
Updates are both prescriptive and descriptive: if an event transpires that, say, gathers a larger fighting force to a village, update the tags to reflect that. Likewise if a change in tags mean that a village has a bigger fighting force you’ll likely see more armored men in the street.
p.214

You can choose a trade tag effect too no? One of which is a military outpost, which would in effect counter the offering defence option.

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 08:15:54 PM »
I see. Just because Osterfell is protected by Valmark doesn't necessarily mean than it's a problem for Valmark. That makes sense. 

It's also likely protected by a City itself and can up its defenses that way.

I agree that it could make for some interesting front fodder.

I think I was just tired.  Thanks, noofy.

noofy

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 04:02:17 AM »
:) Anytime! When in doubt, I always just go fiction first anyways. It is rather obtuse if you follow the guidelines verbatim, i must admit.

Also, your steadings / settings sound awesome! Very Rohan / Skyrim. Have you made a map yet?