Dungeon World on Snail's Pace

• 10 Replies
Dungeon World on Snail's Pace
« on: October 19, 2012, 05:51:47 PM »
Is anyone interested in Dungeon World play-by-post right now?  I'm looking at starting a game on Snail's Pace (Snail's Pacepitch thread), so if this is a thing that you would like to do, come on over.

Right now, I imagine that it would be relatively short term, like one or two adventures, but if we get to that point and everything seems to be going well, then maybe we'll continue on.

Re: Dungeon World on Snail's Pace
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 06:18:07 PM »
I had a lot of fun last time.  DW plays really well as a PbF.

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 03:39:09 AM »
I'm interested and waiting for Snail's pace to approve my registration.

How frequently will you wanting moves?

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 10:34:34 AM »
As often as the fiction demands...? :-)

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 10:49:14 AM »
It'd be nice to get a few posts a day.  However, my own response rate will vary up and down based on how busy I am with work, so at times I might be just updating once or twice in the evening.

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 11:56:50 AM »
I am moderately interested, but your pitch thread doesn't seem to give any indication of what sort of game we'll actually be playing.  I mean, it'll use Dungeon World, okay.  What sort of setting are we looking at?  What sort of plot?  What's the game roughly going to be about?  I realize that DW emphasizes keeping the plot really fluid (and that's a good thing), but I don't want to go into a game expecting iron age heroic fantasy and get a gritty war story with hobgoblins.

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 12:21:40 PM »
I'll have the group build characters, while also having a discussion about tone and what kind of stories we're all interested in.  If it seems like people have different ideas of how the game should play, we'll sort those out.  I won't be locking into anything at least until I know what classes everyone's picking, and I'll be making very few concrete statements about setting before play ... probably just a few notes on themes and tone.

Apocalypse World-based games are very strong for establishing situation from the ground up, starting with character choices and building by asking questions.

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2012, 12:27:15 PM »
I'm just concerned with whether or not that can work out at all when you don't know the group in advance.  I can know what kind of game I'm getting into with an established group just from the people who are playing it, but I don't know you guys.

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2012, 12:48:00 PM »
Well, I don't know what to say, except that it does work.  I haven't done this with Dungeon World in particular, but I've played and run Apocalypse World games online (also played Dungeon World once and Monsterhearts once), and that model is really perfectly fine.

We can establish tone in discussion, and I can nail down any themes that feel like they need to be stated.  That's the important part, that prevents things like that stumbling into a gritty war story.

At the same time, the group builds characters and makes bonds, and I direct questions to the PCs.  When I have a bit of a grasp on the party, I set the first scene and go from there.  This is pretty much per the First Session chapter in the book, which in turn cribs a fair bit from Apocalypse World.

It's a proven technique, and you really can trust it, even if it does sound a little loosey-goosey.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 04:17:43 PM by Michael Loy »

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2012, 03:01:31 PM »
I'm in, I've posted on SP (I'm Tiger there).

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2012, 08:32:35 PM »
I'm going to have to close up recruitment now.  Thanks!