What I still need to know, to run a game of Monsterhearts

• 7 Replies
What I still need to know, to run a game of Monsterhearts
« on: September 30, 2010, 06:15:41 PM »
In another thread, mcdaldno asked what I'd need to run a playtest. Now I haven't read through this forum exhaustively, so I'll put up my list ... feel free to link me if the answers are around. And if you've got ideas about what you still need, put 'em down too.

Here's what I reckon I need to know:

+ Which playbooks are finished and ready to go?
+ Is there only one Mortal in the game? (Like, in Apocalypse World, only 1 person can choose each playbook.)
+ Are there Hx rules for the playbooks yet?
+ What are the Basic Moves for Monsterhearts?
+ Is there any particular advice for running the first session?
+ Are there advancement rules for the characters?
+ Are there special rules for establishing Fronts and Threats?

Re: What I still need to know, to run a game of Monsterhearts
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 07:39:27 PM »
Awesome.

Steve, I'm going to work on writing all these things, and then stitching everything into a nice neat package.

Expect to hear a for-real response by Sunday at the latest.

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 07:59:46 PM »
That's great to hear!

FYI: I'd estimate mid-November as the likely date for pulling a playtest together (given the scholarship application I need to write, some other editing and playtesting promises I need to keep, and a game of Apocalypse World to wrap up).

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 06:36:31 PM »
Alright, so... I dropped the ball. Life caught up and throttled me. I needed some introspection time and some waiting time.

But now I'm definitely plugging away at this MC file. The ruminating time has paid off, too, because everything I'm writing is shit-hot. Expect the playtest doc by Halloween.

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 08:06:39 PM »
This is great to hear, Joe. I'm still on track for having a slot in mid-November (well, post November 19, anyway) to run this. Once I get the doc and have a sit down with it, I'll approach the players I'm thinking about.

NilsH

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 05:30:56 PM »
I really, really wanna playtest this. Do you have a document with all the information, so I don´t have to cut and paste from all the threads?

/ Nils

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 02:58:47 AM »
Nils,

I've been working on it! I planned to have the first draft doc prepared today... but it looks like I'm actually going to finish it by around Monday.

NilsH

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 05:46:49 AM »
Hurra! as we say in swedish :)

I´ve been calling my group and we are psyched to try it.

My ideas so far is to either invent a swedish town on the east coast with an old castle, an old military harbor and lot of poverty and unemplyment, class differences- and have all the characters be students or teachers on the same school.

Or do something like Donna Tarts The Secret History with a high class boarding school in the wild, somewhere in Sweden, maybe close to a lake and a forest. Strange murders and secret cults with witch teachers, and weird locals who hunt wolfs and fight at the bar.