Help me with world moves? Gold Rush/Conquistador inspired setting

• 2 Replies
 I'm creating a DW setting where desperate, ambitious adventurers buy purchase aboard filth-ridden ships to sail the dark, tempestuous seas to try their luck in the Old World: a vast continent, filled with the monster-infested, treasure-laden ruins of the ancient God-Kings.  The adventurers are a mix of Gold Rush prospectors and conquistadors. 

Here are some elements I'm thinking of:

-Adventurers "staking out" a dungeon, and claiming it against competing adventurers.
-Down-on-their-luck bandits robbing other adventurers as they leave a dungeon. 
-I want a cynical feel to the setting, which matches the classic adventurer's agenda of killing and looting. 

So, do you have any "world moves" that might help bring the setting to life?

Thanks!

noofy

Re: Help me with world moves? Gold Rush/Conquistador inspired setting
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 06:43:00 PM »
Sounds great Chris! If I were you, I'd outine this brief as is to the players, no more. Leave lots and lots of blanks to 'question out' during chargen, then start the game with an action scene building on the setting established during all those questions...

Perhaps the party is holed up in the heart of a dungeon they had looted, beset on all sides by encroaching denizens of the underdark and an ambitious band of cut-throat adventurers with greater resources at their disposal, hell bent on taking the prizes the players have garnered.

Or post shipwreck, bereft of their gear, whilst scouring the beach for their possessions, the players sorrounded by natives (monsters?) believing them to be gods sent amongst them to be judged (or sacrificed).

That sort of thing. The 'custom moves' you are looking for can simply be variations on your goto move of defy danger (for now), after the first session, when you have a few more solid dangers to develop, you can create some specific custom moves.

Sounds like a great adventure setting in the making!

Jeremy

Re: Help me with world moves? Gold Rush/Conquistador inspired setting
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 07:33:16 PM »
When you post your claim to a ruin and head back to town, roll +Rep. *On a 10+, either no one found your ruin or they dared not jump your claim. *On a 7-9, someone tried to jump your claim but didn't make it.  The GM picks one:
 - They tripped some of the wards or defenses, leaving it vulnerable
 - They riled up the inhabitants or let something lose
 - They broke or ruined something valuable or important
 - They're still in there: trapped, cursed, mad, and/or undead
On a miss, someone has come and gone, making off with the choicest of loot and stirring up the hornets' nest.

How and where the party gets "Rep" from... I leave that to you.