New Bonds

• 8 Replies

Rino

New Bonds
« on: October 09, 2012, 07:41:47 PM »
So I was wondering...
What if every PC has got one or more quests, as "find the truth about X" or "defeat the Crow Tribe" and gets 1 exp whenever they close that quest?

Could that be something to move PCs as bonds do?

Scrape

Re: New Bonds
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 08:59:06 PM »
That totally works, cool idea. I always kinda felt that making Bonds into an xp source is a double-edged sword. On the one hand, it encourages relationships to grow and evolve because it's mechanically advantageous. On the other hand, it can encourage shallow Bonds that are only written for the xp.

Essentially, your personal quest idea is giving players a Bond with the world. That's cool.
"The town of Strassburg is full of good people who must be protected."
"The Cult of Ataraxis is a blight upon this land."
"Mad King Cecil is a tyrant who must be opposed."

I like it!

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 09:07:01 PM »
If I were running a game and a player wanted to do this I'd be ok with it but I wouldn't do it myself (unless it was a bonus bond).  Part of the game is bonds resolving and evolving.  Quest bonds seem like they'd take a while to resolve and could thus be dead weight, especially because I'd need GM/group complicity to advance the quest.  Aid/hinder could be cool if you wrote a custom move for aiding/hindering the quest (I think it'd be a misuse to, for example, make quest bond be a +bond ongoing to quest-related moves).

With PC bonds, I know I always have a shot at playing to, affirming, and/or resolving each one, every session no matter what turns the plot takes and there is a clear mechanism to aid/hinder.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 09:18:07 PM by mease19 »

Rino

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 09:23:22 PM »
Well, I like the fact that you think this is cool.
I personally think that this method can lead to focused stories,
with strong drive. And this is cool, because PCs must always run from a front to another.

noofy

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 06:12:51 AM »
I'd Just make sure that the bond ties two PC's to the front, that way you engage with the PC-PC dynamic, plus hook the story for a frontloaded agenda to make triangles with the front's impending doom itself or the dangers that comprise it.

Rino

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 06:43:05 AM »
I was actually thinking about personal quests that are aspects of the main front.
For instance someone could be interested in avenging the victims of a serial killer, while the main front could be stopping the killer himself.. so what could be "vengeance"? LET'S FIND OUT AND PLAY! :)

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 02:32:52 PM »
So I was wondering...
What if every PC has got one or more quests, as "find the truth about X" or "defeat the Crow Tribe" and gets 1 exp whenever they close that quest?

This is a pretty standard XP hack.  You just add questions to the end-of-session.  "Did we learn the truth about X" or "Did we defeat or set back the Crow Tribe?"  Pretty simple and fun.

Scrape

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 02:47:53 PM »
So I was wondering...

This is a pretty standard XP hack.  You just add questions to the end-of-session.  "Did we learn the truth about X" or "Did we defeat or set back the Crow Tribe?"  Pretty simple and fun.

I like to think of it as a Bond with the world itself; something individual to each player maybe, and not the group as a whole. 'Cause it might not be resolved every session.

Rino

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 08:49:38 PM »
Wow, sorry if I'm not adding anything to the discussion.. But this game is amazing and fun, I can't wait for the final release!