Removing the Cleric

• 5 Replies
Removing the Cleric
« on: September 29, 2012, 10:48:14 PM »
I'm hoping to run a DW game early next year, set in a world of my own creation. This world doesn't have clerics, as the gods don't generally go around handing out flashy spell-powers to folks. The most divinely-powered character would be the paladin.

Now, this isn't really a problem for DW, it's not like you need a cleric in the party to survive, unlike some games. But it does mean I'll have to tweak a few things that rely on the existence of the cleric playbook - the fact that both rangers and paladins have a move to copy the cleric's spellcasting, and the human wizard gets to pick a spell from the cleric list (which no longer exists).

Anybody got any suggestions for replacement moves for these?

Re: Removing the Cleric
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 05:51:58 AM »
it's not that you have to shatter the playbook in pieces. You can keep it around but you and the players know that the cleric doesn't make sense in your setting so no pc can be the cleric. The wizard, the paladin and the ranger however still get access to the cleri'c spellcasting.
Oh, the things we tell ourselves to feel better about the long, dark nights.

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 08:02:47 AM »
it's not that you have to shatter the playbook in pieces. You can keep it around but you and the players know that the cleric doesn't make sense in your setting so no pc can be the cleric. The wizard, the paladin and the ranger however still get access to the cleri'c spellcasting.

Umm... kinda the point is that there's no divine spellcasting in this setting. Ergo, no spells for Paladins or Rangers. The only true casters are Wizards. And, really, the cleric spells that seem cool in the hands of a wizard could just as easily be done as rituals.

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 08:16:53 AM »
Well, for the paladin and ranger, just say either "yo, don't take clerical spells," or just swap for wizard spells. For the wizard, its not that they get a cleric spell, its that they get a new wizard spell from "x list of other spells". With those spells not being granted by gods, its now a list of obscure wizard spells.

Or, y'know, say to the wizard too, "to, don't take clerical spells"

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 03:49:33 PM »
There is this blog post.

... clerics are just church-sanctioned sorcerers...

I also like the idea of "colors of magic" so clerics are not communing with gods, but rather they are white sorcerers. Rhetorical: didn't Dragonlance and Final Fantasy do that?

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 06:20:10 PM »
There is this blog post.

... clerics are just church-sanctioned sorcerers...

I also like the idea of "colors of magic" so clerics are not communing with gods, but rather they are white sorcerers. Rhetorical: didn't Dragonlance and Final Fantasy do that?

Well, if I were to go down that route, I'd probably still remove the Cleric playbook. I would then divide the spell list into "High" magic and "Dark" magic, then give the Human wizard one spell from the Dark list (like they currently get "from any spell list"), and the Elf wizard a similar set-up with High magic.