Soth: a Call of Cthulhu inspired hack where you play the cultists

• 0 Replies
I've reworked Soth, my entry for Game Chef 2013 into something that's ready for a wider audience.

It's a game about cultists in small-town America trying to summon the god Soth.

The tone of the game is noir: you are bad people who have to conceal your misdeeds in order to achieve your goals.

The hack is mostly diceless, and I think I've created a cool 'cat and mouse' dynamic to the game by letting the GM secretly determine: (a) how suspicious people find the cultists' actions, and (b) who has become an investigator as a result of those suspicions.

There are no playbooks. Everyone plays a cultist. There's one stat: Sanity ... and how low your Sanity is depends on your position in the cult.

I suspect a full game will take between 4 to 8 hours to play.

The next stage of testing is to run through a few full games. The game naturally starts as a thriller/noir where you're following the bad guys trying to get away with their crimes. At some stage, though, I'm sure the game will reach a natural ‘break point’ where there are no more benefits to being covert. I'm interested in how does the game handle full blown war (either between the cultists, or between the cultists and the town)?

If you're interested in checking it out, you can download it here:

Soth (Dropbox, 1MB .pdf)