elf ranger + follow me (+ strider) ?

• 10 Replies
elf ranger + follow me (+ strider) ?
« on: September 09, 2012, 10:04:54 AM »
So, how does it work when the elf ranger has also Follow Me? Do you take an automatic 10 on both roles, or do you roll for one and take an automatic 10 on the other?

And what about strider? An automatic succes on one role, and roll twice take best on the other, or since you already have an automatic 10 on both it does not make sense to select strider?
Oh, the things we tell ourselves to feel better about the long, dark nights.

Jeremy

Re: elf ranger + follow me (+ strider) ?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 10:26:41 AM »
So, how does it work when the elf ranger has also Follow Me? Do you take an automatic 10 on both roles, or do you roll for one and take an automatic 10 on the other?

And what about strider? An automatic succes on one role, and roll twice take best on the other, or since you already have an automatic 10 on both it does not make sense to select strider?

The text of the Elf Ranger move is: "When you Undertake a Perilous Journey through wilderness whatever role you take you succeed as if you rolled a 10+."

Follow me: "When you Undertake a Perilous Journey you can take two roles. You make a separate roll for each."

We could nitpick the "whatever role" language in the elf move, and a case could be made for either.  But:  Be a fan of the characters, right?  To me, that makes it pretty clear that the elf ranger + follow me is the guy you want to go on a Perilous Journey with.

As for Strider (replaces Follow-Me): "When you Undertake a Perilous journey you can take two roles. Roll twice and use the better result for both roles."  As written, there's no value in an elf ranger taking it.  I'd consider house-ruling it to let the elf ranger take all three roles, and get a 10+ on each.

Scrape

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 05:13:33 PM »
Yeah, that's a weird move interaction right there. Houseruling it to an auto-success seems reasonable but it also kinda takes the fun out of Perilous Journey. A tough one.

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 05:19:11 PM »
yeah, I hate zero sum games. We got a move and another move whose only scope is to cancel the first move. Should I house-rule it, I would restart from scratch, maybe instead of having automatic 10 adding a 12+ extra benefit.

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 07:45:42 PM »
I would take it as getting 2 roles, and auto succeeding at one, rolling for the other, and when you upgrade, auto succeeding at both.

Scrape

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 08:10:43 PM »
It's worth pointing out that the Elf ability only applies in the wilderness.

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 08:26:24 PM »
yeah, this came out last night: what do you english speaking people exactly mean by Wilderness?

My guess was just any non-civilized outer land, but the wizard pointed out that could be just in woods and forests.

Scrape

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 12:07:48 AM »
I read it as "woods and forest," because that's where elves come from in typical fantasy settings. DW seems to use "archetypal fantasy world" as a setting, so the elf gets a bonus in his home territory.

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 02:47:11 AM »
I read wilderness as, "places sapient folk haven't had much impact on." The forest and bog not too far from the village? Where the hunters and poachers go? Sure, nobody's rightly settled there, but people impact it and utilise it. Deeper, it speaks to me about how elves interact with their environs, cause I'd guess that their homes are largely still wild, and they do what they can to live as part of the cycle, where dwarves and orcs, humans and halflings just pain rape the land and leave it touched. The elf is far more comfortable navigating the untouched places, or those only touched by elven hands, because that is how things are "supposed to be." Anyway, my two cents.

Edit: for a much more boring answer, "anything more than a few days from the nearest settlement," but I dislike that answer. Cause it's boring.

noofy

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 06:17:56 AM »
Sounds to me like a perfect opportunity to ask the Elven Ranger a question and use the answer....

"So, Calanderiel, what's the wilderness mean to you?"

Scrape

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2012, 11:17:24 AM »
Sounds to me like a perfect opportunity to ask the Elven Ranger a question and use the answer....

"So, Calanderiel, what's the wilderness mean to you?"

BOOM. Yes!