Historical Settings for Apocalypse World?

• 1 Replies
Historical Settings for Apocalypse World?
« on: April 19, 2014, 10:26:49 AM »
Anybody tried this? I don't mean creating a whole hack, just switching things up so that you can use the same playbooks but redefine terms. I've been obsessing about the American Civil War for a while and I was thinking that an AW game set in Bleeding Kansas or in Georgia would be pretty cool -- you could throw in the Vicksburg Flu or zombies to make it extra apocalyptic but the war was plenty apocalytic all by itself -- and trying to think what you could do with the different playbooks. I guess you could always go the Deadlands route and set in the Weird West, but I dunno, the Weird West feels pretty played out to me.

Munin

Re: Historical Settings for Apocalypse World?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 10:40:09 AM »
What you're talking about is a "re-skin" rather than a true "hack."  The rules are essentially the same, but the fiction is a little (or in some cases a lot) different.  Usually the playbooks are altered slightly to fit the new setting, but the game-play is basically the same.  I'm aware of a few (a friend of mine ran an AW re-skin in post-Roman Britain), but most people don't really publish them because there's not much to them (i.e. most of the differences are in the setting, which in the case of a historical re-skin you're going to get from already-published history books anyway).

As an example, I re-skinned the Driver for a medieval game.  You can see that here: http://apocalypse-world.com/forums/index.php?topic=6633.0