Ranger

• 6 Replies

Icel

Ranger
« on: September 02, 2012, 10:52:22 AM »
Hey,
The copy I use for DW (http://book.dwgazetteer.com/) has the following text about the Ranger's advance moves:

Take this move only if it is your first advancement

While for every other class the text reads:

When you gain a level from 2-5, choose from these moves.

Is this an oversight or is something special about the Ranger?

Re: Ranger
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 11:19:10 AM »
It's only for Half Elf, a move that you have to take as your first advance if you want to take it at all, because you can't suddenly discover you're half elven later in the game. You can ignore that Move and just take normal ones for levels 2-5 if you read on, or you can take it as your first Move when you reach level 2, then take other moves from the 2-5 range when you hit levels 3, 4 and 5.

Icel

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 12:01:20 PM »
Oh, I see now, thanks.

I'm having a bit of an issue with that move - I'm writing DW into a setting book and I don't have half-elves. I thought of making it a generic move, something along the lines of "you've studies another wilderness culture" and you get to take a starting move of a different race (I'll also have 5 races for each class).

This is what I got:

Half-Breed
You where raised in a community of a different race and have learn their ways. You gain the starting move of one of the other races.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 12:44:46 PM by Icel »

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 01:36:18 PM »
Change it to "Elven / Human Heritage - one of your ancestors was Elven / Human" instead.

I'd advise against using the term "half-breed" by the way, since it's a real world racist slur (see dictionary.com).

Scrape

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 05:37:34 PM »
Or just use the move and don't use the racial aspect of it, just take the text and reflavor it.

Icel

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 10:40:18 PM »
A. because I'm writing in Hebrew, the English connotation is meaningless anyway. I just translated to "half-breed" in the forum. But I'll take that into account.

B. I don't want it to be about elves and humans. I don't even have human rangers. So I changed that to reflect this, and give the choice to have a starting move from any of the other races the ranger has access to.

Icel

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 12:47:50 PM »
I went with Mixed Heritage, which sounds better.