Freeform traits rather than stats

• 3 Replies
Freeform traits rather than stats
« on: August 24, 2012, 02:21:52 PM »
This is an idea I had, maybe looking for some feedback.

Start with eight traits, and you get a total of +5 to spread between them.  You can take negatives to add positives (so you could take -2 to one and add +2 to spread among others).  Values between -2 and +3 as usual.  They should be roughly like PTA traits in scope.  

These traits would substitute for stats when making moves.  

The first time you roll one of your traits, mark it.  When they’re all marked, erase those marks and mark one advancement.  Yes, this tracks across sessions; if you’ve rolled five of your traits last session, you’ll still have to roll the other three in order to advance.  

In this thread, Jeremy writes this:

Quote from: Jeremy
Final thought: the basic moves don't have to be tied to a specific stat. I've been working on a hack in which the moves themselves are potentially broader than in most hacks, but they aren't tied to the stats. The moves have clear fictional triggers, but the way in which you describe hitting that trigger influences which stat you roll. For example:

When you attack your enemy from a position of strength or safety, roll to assault.  On a 10+, inflict harm as established and choose one...

When you chase, follow, or track down your quarry, roll to pursue. On a 10+ you corner your prey or catch them in the open. On a 7-9...

If you assault someone by drawing a bead and sniping them, roll +Cool to do it. If you assualt a group by casting fireball, roll +Magic.  If you assault a dude by bashing a chair over his head from behind, roll +Brawn.

If you pursue someone by running after them through the streets, roll +Grace.  If you pursue someone by following their tracks through the woods, roll +Wits.  If you pursue someone by asking around in town, roll +Presence.

Has anyone given something like this any thought?  Tried it?  

Re: Freeform traits rather than stats
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 09:11:19 AM »
What is the difference between a trait and a stat? San you give some examples?

Simon Hibbs

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 10:30:32 PM »
I get from the example the desire to disconnect moves from stats, so that you roll something different for the same move depending on how you do it. I'm also inferring, though, that maybe not everybody has the same set of traits – maybe one character has Magic, Clever, Elfin, and Good, while another has Warlike, Plain, Human, and Lawful (just to draw on some familiar fantasy tropes). Maybe I'm reading too much into the original post, though.

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 07:40:26 AM »
Jason, you've got it.