[Western World] Threats and Grotesques

• 8 Replies
[Western World] Threats and Grotesques
« on: August 16, 2010, 11:10:19 AM »
So, I'm working on a new hack, tentatively titled "Western World." Haven't got a forum set up yet, so I figured I'd throw something out here that I've been considering.

Mainly, it's dealing with Threats. I've changed up the Threats to evoke more of the Wild West feel, and I'm looking for some feedback on how I'm changing up Grotesques specifically. Obviously, I couldn't see some of the grotesques (notably, Mutants and Mindfuckers). I didn't want to drop grotesque threats altogether because the moves there are awesome (attack someone from behind or insult, affront, offend or provoke someone) for individual threats.

I noticed that the grotesques are all about craving something. So, with that in mind I've decided to keep the category but mix it up a bit by basing each kind of threat based on a sin, like wrath or lust. I've named them Heathens.

Wrathful heathens have (impulse: craves pain or injury to others), while Lustful heathens have (impulse: crave sexual pleasure or intimacy) and so on.

What do you guys think? I couldn't figure out a good craving for Slothful, and how that might impact others... Suggestions are certainly welcome.

Others Threat changes:

Warlords are now "Authority" figures, like Law, Government, Investors, Armies, and I kept Dictators and Prophets.

Brutes are now "Savages", like Road Agents, Scalpers (heh), Bandits, and whatnot.

Afflictions are very similar to AW, and I've yet to work on Landscapes, but imagine they'll be similar but with more changes unlike Afflictions.

Thanks.

Re: [Western World] Threats and Grotesques
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 06:46:46 PM »
I'd figure that slothful heathens would seek to live off the hard work of others, yeah?

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 06:49:37 PM »
I'd figure that slothful heathens would seek to live off the hard work of others, yeah?

I love it. How do I word that?

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 06:54:32 PM »
Impulse: claim the fruits of others' labor

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 06:56:26 PM »
Impulse: claim the fruits of others' labor

Nice. I'm using it. Thanks!

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 07:02:58 PM »
My pleasure. I am helping! I'm a helper! :)

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2010, 10:55:42 AM »
Ooh, also dope fiends. Cy Toliver's men in Deadwood (the dope-fiend card shark and the idiot in the red suit and top hat) are totally grotesques. EB Farnum's man, the hunched old guy with the long beard who wanders around waving antlers at people, is totally a grotesque.

Who else...

You think maybe Calamity Jane? She's a drunken outsider.

I like the idea of heathens and naming them after sins.

Orion

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 09:50:28 PM »
I'd err on the side of generality with impulses.  Why use "craves sexual pleasure" when you could use "craves attention" or "craves connection"?  Similarly, Sloth might be punchier as Impulse: craves easy and comfort.

Just my take, of course. 

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 10:09:11 PM »
I'd love to see a hack that emulates the film http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ravenous .  I could see the maelstrom opening your brain in the instant human flesh enters your mouth.