[Western World] The Drifter and Names

• 8 Replies
[Western World] The Drifter and Names
« on: August 16, 2010, 06:55:24 PM »
So, one of the playbooks in the game so far is "The Drifter". This is the guy, unlike the other characters, who comes into town a stranger and gets caught up in other people's problems.

You know, the Man With No Name style.

The idea is, in the Names section, there aren't any. You just don't have a name. Period. People call you what they will.

My question is, should this be it, or simply an option with other name possibilities?

Re: [Western World] The Drifter and Names
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 07:05:33 PM »
I love it as an option, but it seems like too much of a one note show for it to be the only option. Maybe drive the point home by making all of the "names" vague things the townsfolk call you like "stranger", _______, fella, et cetera. I wish I had more actual suggestions!

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 07:10:42 PM »
"Sanjuro" style is to say your name is whatever you happen to be looking at when someone asks ("mulberry field").

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 03:54:29 PM »
I love it as an option, but it seems like too much of a one note show for it to be the only option. Maybe drive the point home by making all of the "names" vague things the townsfolk call you like "stranger", _______, fella, et cetera. I wish I had more actual suggestions!

I've considered that idea too. Stranger, Mister, Fella, Boy, Man, Girl, Joe, etc...

"Sanjuro" style is to say your name is whatever you happen to be looking at when someone asks ("mulberry field").

That's kind of what I was thinking. The player doesn't get a choice during character creation and they can basically say whatever if it comes up in game.

Hmmm....

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 07:33:13 PM »
The idea is, in the Names section, there aren't any. You just don't have a name. Period. People call you what they will.

You can always just omit the Names list for The Drifter, and make no mention of the fact.

And then when other people are picking their names, and it becomes clear to the person holding the Drifter book that they don't have a name, you can just watch the grin dawn on their face.

Chris

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 07:49:21 PM »

You can always just omit the Names list for The Drifter, and make no mention of the fact.

And then when other people are picking their names, and it becomes clear to the person holding the Drifter book that they don't have a name, you can just watch the grin dawn on their face.

This.
A player of mine playing a gunlugger - "So now that I took infinite knives, I'm setting up a knife store." Me - "....what?" Him - "Yeah, I figure with no overhead, I'm gonna make a pretty nice profit." Me - "......"

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 03:56:15 PM »

This.

Yes.

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 10:13:00 PM »
I'm for no names as well.  I think the player should be obligated to take gigs - they just happen.  Can't be avoided.  However, the player gets the option of starting the game with a gig as though there had been a previous session with just him.

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 05:44:28 PM »
Zombie Thread!

I also like the idea of a list of names others call you: Stranger, fella, etc. But without the normal choose one, instead each PC and NPC chooses from the list the first time they speak with the character.