Give me some good folk songs for the road

• 5 Replies

Arvid

Give me some good folk songs for the road
« on: August 14, 2010, 07:11:33 PM »
PC's going to hit the road with hope in their hearts and purpose in their stride. Once I heard Ain't No Grave I knew I was going to have to play it.

Wayfaring Stranger too, probably. In some version.

What else is good in american folk? Instrumental, a plus. My usual mood music consists of Hex: Or Printing in the Infernal Method and The Bees Made Honey in the Lion's Skull by Earth, and the soundtrack from Dead Man, now I'm looking to add a little more hope and community to that. You know, folk.

Re: Give me some good folk songs for the road
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 07:51:06 PM »
Not strictly folk, but Johnny Cash's American Recordings 3 and 4 work very well indeed.

Arvid

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 04:31:34 AM »
Not strictly folk, but Johnny Cash's American Recordings 3 and 4 work very well indeed.

Yeah, strictly folk is probably too upbeat anyway. This is Apocalypse World, after all! :) Johnny Cash strikes an excellent balance between somber and soulstirring, too bad I can't seem to find the American 3 and 4 on spotify.

lumpley

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 09:41:49 AM »
Yeah, strictly folk is probably too upbeat anyway.

Wha buh?

Anyway, check out Tim Eriksen:
http://timeriksenmusic.com/music.html

Be sure to give a listen to the Hookes Regular Sing and Roadkill.

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 10:08:04 AM »
Can't go wrong with 16 Horsepower. Little bit less moody, Jim White.

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 10:24:34 AM »
'Hard Times' is the classic to go for here. Either the Bone Thugs & Harmony version or the Bob Dylan version. Or both. I'd go for some Donovan, perhaps. And Alison Krauss/Gillian Welch 'I'll Fly Away'. A nice 'We are climbing Jacob's Ladder' could work. And Pete Seegar will give you all the hope you need. For instrumental, go for Appalachian bluegrass, with a banjo, kinda like these guys http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmFsn5VfvVY.