Unashamed: Fae clarification

• 7 Replies
Unashamed: Fae clarification
« on: July 15, 2012, 02:50:17 PM »
I don't get the move of the Fae "Unashamed". You gain +3 in the 'turn someone on' test and give them 1 string.

Isn't the objective of the move to gain a string? So, in the best case scenario, you are even with someone when you use Unashamed? Don't you think that's a little weak?

Re: Unashamed: Fae clarification
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 03:42:34 AM »
The objective of the move is to establish in the fiction that the target is turned on by you; the mechanical outcome of that is secondary. So, if it's really important to you that your character turns on the other character, and you don't mind being a little turned on too, then it's a fair move to make.

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 06:49:29 AM »
I think that, mechanicaly, the move is either weak or inefective. It could be a condition, like "Whore", that the fae could receive when she uses unashamed. Or it could be a different move, like: "when you turn someone on, the person that is being turned on must choose one extra effect at the 7-9 list". Or: "when you turn someone on withouht any kind of restraints, going against the community's moral and sexual standards, receive +1 on the test".

If the later would be the new choice for the move, then the Wild Hunt should be changed for something else. I think that it either should be the condition one or the extra effect.

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 03:06:50 PM »
I agree that it is not a powerful move, but from my point of view it's coherent with the fae concept: you show freely what you are and you have no problem with it.

Make them promise they will never use what they know of you against you and things are ok, or if you want it to be "powerful", buy entrenched

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 03:18:28 PM »
I think you're making a mistake in thinking that you giving someone a string to take a string on them is "even." String's aren't symmetric, unless you both spend a string to give +/-1 to the same roll, which is maybe their least interesting use. Compare The Power Flows Through Me, the Infernal Bargain that's +2 to any roll, but a String to the Dark Power. In both cases you give others power over you to gain something.

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 05:03:24 PM »
Plus, don't forget, one of the most effective uses of a string on a PC is to offer them XP for doing what you want.

So, giving them a string means giving them an opportunity to give you XP. If your cold is highlighted, then even if they pull the hold-steady option on you it'll even give you XP if they go for the stick instead of the carrot.

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 07:20:09 PM »
Agree with hobbesque and benhimself,

This move isn't "even," because Strings aren't symmetrical. The Fae doesn't mind having people who are kindly-disposed to themselves hanging around them - it's a chance to solicit promises and hint at the possibility of XP-enticement.

The Fae and The Mortal both love it when people have Strings on them, because it sets up the situations that they are the most powerful in.

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 08:02:24 PM »
And what if the move was "give a string and gain +3 on turning someone on" plus "the target must choose, on a hit, another option on the 7-9 list". I think that the idea of you having more chances on the person 'givinge herself to you' would be interesting.

I don't know. The name 'unashamed' seems to me something more dashing, more crazy.