So... Dark Sun

• 21 Replies
Re: So... Dark Sun
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2012, 04:42:55 PM »
Yep i think weapon breakage and preserving/defiling are good to go... What do you think about psionics? I'd like to create some wild talent moves that everyone can take, and a psion class that gets more of them and can upgrade them. Something like, from the top of my head:

Precognition
You take a moment to see the future. Roll +Wis, on 10+ hold 3. You can spend 1 to reroll any roll. On 7-9 hold 1, that you can use for a reroll, but the GM can also show you a dangerous omen.

English's not my first language, btw, so apologies in advance

Jeremy

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2012, 05:29:48 PM »
It depends on the nature of the psionics you want, right?  The one you present is very mechanically interesting but not really tied to the fiction. 

What about making it play with Discern Realities?  Like so:

Prescient - when you Discern Realities, you can always ask "what is about to happen?" without it counting against your questions.  Even on a miss, you can still ask that question.

For the other types of psionics, how about...

Telekinetic - when you move something through force of will, take 1d4 damage (ignores armor) and roll +???.  On a 7-9, pick one. On a 10+, pick two.
- You can move it quickly
- You can move it precisely
- It can be heavier than you could move with your body
- You don't take damage after all

Telepath - when you speak to another with your mind, they hear you as if you spoke aloud and can reply in kind.

Biofeedback - when you will your body to conform to your vision of itself, roll +Cha (???).  On a hit, choose one from the list below.  On a 7-9, the process is taxing and you take -1 forward.
-Purge your body of poison, toxin, disease, or curse
-Sustain itself as though you had consumed a ration
-Heal yourself of 1d4 damage
-Make your body impervious to the elements, but you take -1 ongoing until you stop

I'm sure you could make more. 

Do you want everyone to pick a "wild talent" move at 0-level?  If so, you could use the concept of a compendium class to let people delve further into a specific discipline, with more potent/dedicated moves.  So if you picked "telepath" as your 1st-level wild talent, you could take more dedicated telepathy moves later on (but not telekinesis moves).

Also, you could make a full-fledged class that had all the wild talents and access to all the compendium class moves.  Maybe.

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2012, 06:24:35 PM »
Question is also how close you want to remain to the source material.

Back in 1991, when Dark Sun was published, psionics were mostly included to raise sales numbers for the Complete Psionics Handbook. Dark Sun could play well without psionics.

On the other hand, AW also has psionics (albeit as the only weird stuff).

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2012, 06:35:22 PM »
Yeah... i still have some issues with the whole "tied to the fiction" thing with moves, i'm more used to more traditional systems...Anyway, i like yours very much... The idea was exactly that, give everyone a psionic move at 0 level, and give the psion more (3? 4?) and the ability to upgrade them.

And for me, i wouldnt be Dark Sun without psionics ;)

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2012, 01:59:04 PM »
For breaking things, isn't there a GM move "Use up their stuff" or "Activate their stuff's downside"? I don't have the book in front of me, but I believe so. In that case, any hard move can be to break something breakable (literally a cheapass weapon's downside is it might break at the worst time!). So that's easy!

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2012, 02:31:58 PM »
Yes, you're right there is! "Use up their resources", I think.

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2012, 08:43:33 PM »
I like the Prescient power and am probably going to shamelessly steal it for my Psion :D

(on another note: anyone know why I can't start a new thread?)