The Psion: My First DW Hack

• 0 Replies
The Psion: My First DW Hack
« on: July 01, 2012, 09:46:17 AM »
So, if you all don’t mind, I think I’m going to give my first attempt at a Dungeon World Hack a try, here.  Now, I’ve seen lots of people mention that they’d like to make a Hack of the Psion, but no completed DW Psions yet, so, with that in mind, I’m gonna try and work on something here.

So, the first question about the Psion is “What is important about the Psion?”, “What part of this class is indispensable?”  When Sage and Adam asked that question about the Druid, they came to the conclusion that, while Druids have always been spellcasters, spellcasting was always a vestigial trait and shapeshifting was the real Core of Druidism.  So, while Druids can gain access to spells if they want to, all Druids can change their shape.  Spells are not necessary.

We can’t say that about Psions.  Psions are spellcasters; that’s their niche.  What has always separated them from Wizards, in Fantasy Gaming, has been a different spell-usage mechanic.  They’ve always been differently flavored Wizards with power points.  So, with that in mind, we can’t get rid of their Spellcasting power without making them just plain not a Psion.  But we have to make them more than just Wizards with crystals, or they’re boring and unnecessary, and I’d hate to add something unnecessary to Dungeon World.

So, the first Basic Move I’m considering is a Spellcasting move that works differently from the Cleric and Wizard.  To emulate the old Psion’s Power Points, the Psion I’m imagining uses Hold much more liberally than the other classes, collecting it and pooling it from multiple Moves to achieve his effects.  Here’s the first Move I’ve got, to get the ball rolling.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Manifesting the Points of Power

The Psion calls on his reserve of personal power to create a pool of power from which he can draw his psionic powers.  Roll+CHA [Cha is the classic stat here, but maybe it should be something different?].  On a 10+, take 3 Hold.  On a 7-9, take 1 Hold and select one of the following:
•   You are unharmed
•   You are undistracted
•   You are unnoticed
You can spend 1 Hold to manifest a Power that you know.  You may spend 1 Hold immediately after using this Move.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The idea I have here is that some Moves will add more Hold to the pool, letting you go longer in battle without having to “Charge up”.  Additionally, I’m thinking some P:owers/Moves will allow you to expend more than 1 Hold to Augment their power and increase their Effects in some ways.

This is just a brainstorm, something I couldn’t get out of my head while I was lying in bed this morning trying to go back to sleep.  Anyone have any thoughts?