Capture not kill i.e. subdual damage

• 3 Replies
Capture not kill i.e. subdual damage
« on: June 30, 2012, 03:56:46 PM »
I'm looking to have a PC's village infected by a kind of lycanthropy, with lots of scenes of loved ones suddenly and involuntarily changing into horrible monsters and the like. I imagine the PC's are going to want to subdue these creatures.

Any advice for how to handle this mechanically? In good old 3rd ed D&D, you could deal "subdual" damage with a penalty to hit. You still did your full damage but when the target dropped to zero they were knocked out instead of killed.

In DW terms, would this be kinda like "interfering" with yourself? Pulling your punches, as it were?

Re: Capture not kill i.e. subdual damage
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 04:05:29 PM »
There's a mention of stun damage in the damage and healing section of the rules, but I'm not sure how to actually *deal* that sort of damage. However, it works as you say (for an NPC); if they drop to 0, they're just out, not dead.

I can easily see a few optional moves, though.

"When you're pulling your punches, you deal -1 damage and it's stun damage."
"When you attack with a weapon wrapped in padding or another non-lethal weapon, deal stun damage."

Etc...

It seems quite reasonable. Also, punching is specifically mentioned as doing possibly 1 stun damage. Further, you could have the PCs wrestle and grapple people, then tie them / chain them to hold them. This could be done perhaps with a defy danger or else custom grappling rules.

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 09:03:10 PM »
Page 165 of the manual (83 in the spread version):

Stun Damage
Stun damage is non-lethal damage. A PC who takes stun damage is Defying Danger to do anything at all, the danger being "you're stunned." A GM character that takes stun damage counts it against their HP as usual, but when they are out of HP they are knocked out, not at the GM's mercy.
Oh, the things we tell ourselves to feel better about the long, dark nights.

noofy

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 04:40:17 AM »
Though Adam has the right of it, this personalised situation begs for a creative Custom Move! That's what they are for :)

When you attempt to subdue or restrain a loved one in bestial form roll + STR or +Bond:

On a 10+ choose 2
On a 7-9 choose 1

* You deal your damage as stun damage
* You have them pinned and (only just) under control
* You don't get bit

« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 05:13:26 AM by noofy »