eventually publishing a hack

• 10 Replies

lumpley

eventually publishing a hack
« on: June 11, 2010, 01:02:32 PM »
As far as I'm concerned: do, if you want to. I'll be excited to help in any way I can.

If you're going to use my exact words, you need my permission. Get with me and tell me which sections of my text you'd like to use. In general I don't have any reservations about this, so probably I'll just say yes and away you go. If you want to use, like, whole chapters, or my character playbooks, or really extensive pieces, that'll mean licensing them from me.

Better if you use your own words! Then you don't need my permission at all. I hope you'll give me and Apocalypse World a mention on your credits or notes page; do that and I'm happy.

This applies to hacks with wholly original content only. John's and my Knife & Candle hack, for instance -- we'll need to get with Echo Bazaar's owners if we want to really make anything of it. If you decide to make a Star Wars hack, well, that'd mean licensing Star Wars. Good luck with that!

-Vincent

Re: eventually publishing a hack
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 09:59:11 AM »
Seeing how there's already a ton of hack in the works, a lot of them by great designers, how about collecting a few of them once they're done and publishing them together as a sort of "official" AW splatbook?

lumpley

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 11:18:32 AM »
Maybe! I'm the indie hardcore, so everybody gets to make their own publishing plans.

I hope that everybody considers developing and publishing their hacks as stand-alone games. A collection might be a very good plan for some of the hacks, though, for some of the designers. It's hard to predict.

-Vincent

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 04:20:56 AM »
"we'll need to get with Echo Bazaar's owners if we want to really make anything of it."

You certainly will. :-) We don't want to step on fan activity, but this IP is what I'm using to shoe my daughter so we do need to treat it properly.

As it happens we had someone working on an EBZ RPG but they've gone dormant from pressure of other work. We also had another indie chap approach us and ask. Let me know if you want me to put either of them in touch with you to share ideas.

We would expect to license it for a cut of the revenue: if you're serious about publishing it then talk to us about specifics sooner, not later. (And don't worry, we have realistic expectations about what indie RPGs earn... :-) )

cheers

Alexis Kennedy
Chief Narrative Officer
Failbetter Games

lumpley

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 03:02:37 PM »
For anybody curious, Alexis, John and I are following through in email.

-Vincent

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 03:31:13 PM »
Delicious.

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 01:52:18 PM »
Hmmm... good to know.  Recently, I've been idly thinking about attempting to design/hack a "PCs as ghosts" game a la Wraith.  I had been thinking about trying to do so with the Shadow of Yesterday system (due in no small part to the convenient CC license he has on his games) but since I'm thinking about Apocalypse World all the time anyway (now that I've just started MCing a game) it might be interesting to try to see what I could do with this system.

RichD

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 05:13:15 PM »
For anybody curious, Alexis, John and I are following through in email.

-Vincent

This is one of those "getting chocolate in my peanut butter" moments that I really hope leads somewhere awesome.

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2010, 11:48:27 PM »
So, a related question here. In addition to my hack(s), I'm working on an original game design, but AW's MCing rules came in and paradigm-shifted the hell out of how I think about GMing.

What I would like to ask is: where on the 'give credit/ask permission/license' spectrum is using the breakdown of "agenda, principles, moves" if you generate all new elements for each for your game?

Obviously a baseline of 'give credit', cos yeah, duh, but this seems like really good terminology/tech for advancing GM rules that could do to be released into the wilds of non AW-hacks. I don't want to be a dick though, hence the question. Thanks!

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2010, 06:31:08 PM »
Not to be a pest, but I posted the above question while you were sick, Vincent, so I wanted to bump it.

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2015, 03:00:57 PM »
What about supplemental material? I'm thinking of putting up some threats and fronts and such on DriveThruRPG as a pay-what-you-want thing. Is the plausibly acceptable?