Last Child playbook (again)

• 35 Replies
Last Child playbook (again)
« on: June 28, 2012, 01:21:06 AM »
Yeah, so I posted a version of this playbook like 2 years ago, and there were two revised versions in my Heralds of Hell booklet, but it wasn't until just the other day that I realized how to make it an actually decent playbook.

There's still one playbook in Heralds of Hell that kinda sucks, so I don't really want to revise the whole thing. So fuck it, I just put this one in it's own file (like the Horseman) and now I don't have to think about it anymore: The Last Child.

Chroma

Re: Last Child playbook (again)
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 10:31:45 AM »
WOOHOO!

Thanks for all your efforts, Johnstone!

What did you change/revise and what gave you the "breakthrough" to do it?
"If you get shot enough times, your body will actually build up immunity to bullets. The real trick lies in surviving the first dozen or so..."
-- Pope Nag, RPG.net - UNKNOWN ARMIES

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 11:35:55 AM »
Great playbook Johnstone!

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 01:03:43 PM »
The playbook is amazing, but I really dislike the sex move. The vibe I get from this child is like Damien from The Omen. I think that the sex move should hinder them both, or some kind of dark omen should be prophesized to them. This way, sex and virginity are entwined with purity, and I dont think that's the thing in AW. Or maybe in AW, when you have sex you are considered adult?

I dont know, but I didnt like the sex move

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 01:09:30 PM »
I like it!  I'm thinking about running/playing a game where none of the playbooks are Lumpley playbooks.  This would certainly be available in such a game.

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 04:33:12 PM »
Thank yous all around! If anybody plays it or sees it in play, please let me know how it went.

@Chroma: The family was the final piece. The best playbooks are the ones that tie characters into a community right away, and this also unites the child elements. The special moves are all based on evil children in horror movies, the sex move addresses being a child, but adding the family support unit I think gives the playbook a unified "you are playing a child" feeling.

@gaigaia: The purity thing is a valid interpretation of the sex move, and one I want to exist, but it's not the only one. Vincent's pretty adamant that when he writes "have sex" he means consensual sex, and there's room here for the player to decide what that means. This is one of a series of evil playbooks, and that sex move is the evilest thing out of all of them.

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 09:37:38 AM »
I like it a lot!

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 02:03:47 PM »
Hot shit, finally a kid which isn't the annoying wildling retard stereotype!

Chroma

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 08:14:41 AM »
The Last Child showed up in my "Depth of Life" campaign yesterday... and helped bring it all down in a glorious conclusion!

People were really intrigued by the playbook and Meridian, the young girl who whispered into the ear of her electronic doll which then pronounced dooms in a cheerful voice, was suitably cool and disturbing and different to have quite an impact in the single session she played in.

Thanks again for making this more readily available, Johnstone!

(I converted it into a tri-fold for my group as that's the way we like to play!)
"If you get shot enough times, your body will actually build up immunity to bullets. The real trick lies in surviving the first dozen or so..."

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2012, 10:31:54 AM »
I second Chroma's comments. Seeing this playbook in play was super creepy and fun. Never got to interact with the character directly but watching her profess doom upon others was super cool! I want to play one of these sometime in the near future.

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2012, 12:55:19 PM »
Cool. Probably for the best she only pronounced doom on others!

Can you post the trifold version you made?

Chroma

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2012, 12:59:05 PM »
Can you post the trifold version you made?

Sure!  Just have to clean it up a bit as I rushed to get it into the (predicted) campaign finale session.

Do you, by chance, have a larger picture of on the front?  Had to simply blow up the one in your pdf and it's a bit blurry in the larger size.  My email is in my profile.

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 10:31:01 AM »
Here is Chroma's Last Child Trifold for all y'alls to enjoy.

As always, if you see it in play, please let me know.

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2012, 11:34:38 AM »
Nice job on the Trifold Chroma!

Chroma

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2012, 11:54:20 AM »
Nice job on the Trifold Chroma!

Thanks! You missed seeing it in play during the last session of Depth of Life on Sunday!