Custom Moves Compendium

• 9 Replies

P2

Custom Moves Compendium
« on: May 31, 2012, 10:43:35 AM »
Hi Guys,

Have you ever made some custom moves for your house games?

Wouldn't be cool for us to share ideas on custom moves on this thread? It makes easier then searching the hole forum (I've spend about 30 minutos right now searching for a cool custom move I've seem on another thread)

I haven't created any yet  (the ones I drafted weren't very good =/ )

Re: Custom Moves Compendium
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 01:45:45 PM »
When you mean custom moves, are you talking about stuff for the characters to take? Because custom GM moves are going to be pretty adventure specific, no?

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 02:04:23 PM »
While they could be character moves or GM moves, I'm guessing he's talking about world moves.  The ones where the move dictates what happens when you interact with the world in a specific way.  They can be a good source of inspiration and it's fun to share.

For example:  When you light the trail of oil, roll+Dex.  On a 10+, choose 3.  On a 7-9, choose 2.
-The oil catches
-You are not on fire
-You reach cover in time
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 02:43:36 PM by mease19 »

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 04:33:04 PM »
Okay, I'll bite. Here's a magic weapon a PC in my game recently acquired. It's got a move of its own.

Gloom   
Forceful, Thrown
Forged in the Gray Wastes of Niflheim, this pitted iron hammer is black as Death’s Door and has a haft of intricately carved bone white as the driven snow. When an ignoble creature is struck dead by this weapon, you consign its dishonorable soul to Hel the Merciless, Daughter of Loki. Gain 1 hold. While holding Gloom, spend this hold, one for one, to do any of the following. Lose the hold when healed by magical means.
•   Ask a proxy of Hel a question about death or the dead
•   Command an undead creature to perform a task
•   Fill someone with despair

P2

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 08:05:13 AM »
Hi Guys,

I'm talking about every kind of custom move or house rules.

It can be basic, special, steading, character, GM, World moves...

I have compiled some interesting moves and ideas from various authors that I found browsing the forum, like these:

1- Hack and Slash: When you engage a foe in melee, roll +STR. On a 10+, pick one. Or pick two and let the GM pick one from the 7-9 list.
- you deal your damage (invoking your weapon's tags, if any)
- you drive your opponent back or draw them in
- you knock down, disarm, or overpower your enemy
- you improve your position or situation

On a 7-9, pick one from the 10+ list but the GM will also pick one:
- your enemy connects with an attack (dealing damage)
- your enemy uses one of it's moves or tags
- your weapon gets stuck or slips from your hand
- you lose something: your bearings, your footing, an advantage
- you cause collateral damage
- you trigger a new Danger

Bonus fighter move:
Masterful Warrior: when you hack & slash, on a 12+, pick two from the 10+ list.

2- Cavalry Advanced Moves
- When you are mounted on a warhorse and ride them down, roll+DEX. On a 10+, you trample them under hoof (deal 1d8 Damage) or choose 2. On a 7-9, choose 1:
-Make them retreat;
-Scatter a group of them;
-Break their line;
-Knock them to the ground;
- When you take damage while mounted, defy danger to stay astride it.

3- Silver Tongue Move for Bards
Silver Tongue
When you use falsehood, bluster, or trickery to avoid suspicion or get out of trouble, roll +Cha. On 10+, hold 3. On 7-9, hold 1. Spend your hold 1 for 1 to:
•   Move about or manuever unchallenged
•   Withstand direct scrutiny or questioning
•   Direct suspicion or attention elsewhere
Any of those things you'd spend hold on, they'd be things you'd normally roll +Cha to Defy Danger, right? But the silver tongued bard, he gets to do that on a 7-9 with his 1 hold. And on a 10+, he's got the confidence to keep pushing it.
But on a miss? Yeah, things go south on him quick like.

noofy

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 12:02:48 AM »
Heh. I played this dungeon of Tony's last night with three teenage boys, first time ever roleplayers. They decended the steps under the tavern due to a lost bet during a drinking game.

The halfling thief got seperated from the other two due to a hard move in the corridor of fear. He ended up in the mutagen chamber overwhelmed with fear(literally) - the player was pretty into it - we were using dungeon tiles and minis to map the dungeon as they explored.

I needed a move, the fiction demanded it, Felix was lost and desperate to find his compatriots. SoI have a few cobbled custom moves on 'standby' from other hacks of AW. This is from the regiment and was the inaugral use of When you’re lost in the dungeon,
say how you deal with it and roll +WIS. On a 10+, you’re okay and you get yourself oriented. On a 7-9, choose one:
- You put yourself in a spot.
- You put your someone you are bonded to in a spot.

Felix rolled an 8. In true teen form, he chose to put Hawk the Paladin in a spot, who was systematically looking for hidden doors in the torture chamber to locate the missing halfling. As Hawk rummaged in the rubble of a cell, the rusty door creaked shut with a resounding clang, locking him in... From the rubble came an ominous moan as a spectral form pulled itself oil-like from the mancled hooks and chains and reached, ghostly talons outstretched and firey eys burning deep with unholy ire.

It was awesome.

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 06:14:42 AM »
Noofy, that's brilliant! I've eyed off that Fog of War move for DW and you've translated it perfectly. That map is magic too.

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 11:06:05 AM »
Noofy.  That map is great - does Tony have a higher-rez version posted anywhere?

noofy

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 07:23:29 PM »
Sure Adam! Its on his Flickr feed :) I printed at original and we scoured through my big box of dungeon tiles to make the map as we went along, it was so sweet. It didn't match up 'perfectly', but who cares. The actual location was in the players imaginations, the map / tiles were just anchors for their descriptions and actions.

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 08:56:27 PM »
Beautiful!