Play by Post tips?

• 3 Replies
Play by Post tips?
« on: June 26, 2012, 09:59:41 PM »
Hi all! I'm about to start a play by post game and I'm wondering if anyone has had some experience in this with Dungeon World. This will be my first DW experience (busy friends who will only make time for this). What are some of the unique benefits and drawbacks of the medium that you've run into?

Any tips or suggestions are most welcome!

Thanks!

Re: Play by Post tips?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 10:16:25 PM »
We played a bit of DW Basic over PbF and I thought it went really well.  I don't know that PbF is the best way to run DW but DW is one of the best games to run on PbF.  Frequently, a savvy player can narrate what he wants to do, intuit the appropriate move that is being triggered, roll, and resolve the move (by making a choice, asking a question, spending a hold/etc) in a single post.  This allows the game to move a really good pace without the usual "I'd like to attack the orc," "ok roll for it," "I rolled a 12, does that hit," "Yes it hits, roll your damage," "I rolled a 4, does that kill it?  What happens?" "Ok, here's what happens" type of back and forth that many games would require.  It requires a bit of familiarity and a bit of trust (the GM needs to hold the reigns loosely) but it can really shine.  It may help to have a reference thread where you can post custom moves and embed maps.  Don't forget that you can also insert pictures of people and places, link MP3s, and hyperlink to your reference thread - make the most of your multi-media capabilities. If you want an example of DW PbF, you can check out our game over on Snail's Pace with the first scene starting here.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 10:20:56 PM by mease19 »

noofy

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 11:57:39 PM »
I love that AP, Marshall :)
I especially like how it showcases the principle of asking questions and using the answers (by ALL the players). Wonderful story!

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 10:28:29 PM »
@mease19 Awesome! Thank you for sharing!