Dungeon World - Wiki

• 7 Replies
Dungeon World - Wiki
« on: June 27, 2012, 07:54:05 PM »
Hey everyone! I just looked over the blank playbook thread and got to thinking about various formats for Dungeon World. I've actually worked with this idea before (in working on my full-scale hack of Dungeon World), but I'm wondering if people would use Dungeon World in wiki format (specifically, TiddlyWiki).

The actual conversion is just a matter of effort (it's not hard, but a bit time intensive) and I believe it'd be within the bounds of the licensing for DW. Of course I would exclude all images and bonus content, but I'd aim to include the full text of the book.

I see a few major benefits to this style, such as...
A) Easily editable / modifiable to include any new / changed rules or content integrated into the main document

B) Hyperlinked (although the official HTML will cover this)

C) Very easy to portion data into small pieces and display / print only the pieces you need (for example, a player could write up their character sheet as a tiddler and have open relevant rules); this way there's no "page flipping" and all the info you need (moves, gear, etc) is right there on one screen. This also works for GMs (have just the monsters you plan on using, certain things you reference often, and so on).

D) Can be used offline. Not sure about mobile compatibility, but I plan on at least testing on my android tablet

E) All info is in one document, making sharing easy; there are also online hosting solutions for tiddlywikis

I'm not sure there's actually an interest in this, though, and while it's not hard, it does require an investment of time and energy.

What are people's thoughts on this?

Re: Dungeon World - Wiki
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 08:03:33 PM »
oooh I LOVE tiddlywiki! I used it to archive some gaming ideas a year ago! If you ever would need a hand count me in! Also, with the HTML pages sage & adam will create for DW after the kickstarter, it will be a lot easy to do it!
Oh, the things we tell ourselves to feel better about the long, dark nights.

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 08:18:59 PM »
I use it all the time, gaming and otherwise! It's not perfect, but it's quick, easy, and has a few nice features (particularly, I like the way tiddlers open inline as opposed to opening / navigating to a new page in most wikis).

I plan on using the HTML as an overall base and, in fact, one of the reasons I didn't start already is because I'm waiting to see the finalized and edited text (to prevent me missing changes or having to change it to much).

I would also hope to include some templates for common things (PC moves, monsters, new classes) as well as a simple user guide.

- Alex

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 08:22:10 PM »
The single biggest disadvantage of TiddlyWiki: it's impossible for more than one person at a time to edit the wiki. At least as far as I know.

Maybe a centralized wiki would be a better idea?

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 08:31:36 PM »
I can look into related options... I think tiddlyspot only allows one username / password, which is fine if you trust the other people and don't mind sharing a login. Even then, though, you can have overwrite issues.

It'd be pretty simple to set up a repo on github or something similar for a group of people to edit and access, but that's not helpful for people who don't feel comfortable using it.

I'm not sure how much of a problem this is in the end, and I'm willing to look into a couple of options. And if people prefer a more standard wiki, I'm not going to stop them! TW is just my preference.

- Alex

EDIT: There are a few plugins like GroupAuthoringPlugin or TiddlyLock that can help circumvent these issues, but I'm not really familiar with them right now - I intend to look into these options.

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 02:50:07 AM »
I use wikidot for my wikis, is fairly easy to get to grips with.

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 12:56:09 PM »
Hey, Murgh Bpurn & others, there are a few features to TiddlyWiki that I enjoy and prefer (portability, familiarity, the one-page architecture, and more), so I'm likely to use that before other things. I understand some features (especially the weak multi-user editing) may turn some people off, but I'm looking for some options on that end.

If people wanted to work on a more traditional wiki, I'd be super excited to see it and I'd definitely be willing to contribute to it! I do appreciate the suggestions from people.

- Alex

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 06:06:40 PM »
I'm curious if this is going forward?  Now that the kickstarter edition is coming out, it seems like there is a settled SRD to work from.