(not so) New Races & New Race Moves

• 23 Replies

stras

Re: (not so) New Races & New Race Moves
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2012, 09:51:40 AM »
@ (not that) adam : I like the cut of your orcs ser. ALOT.

Also.  Now I have to write me some awesome dwarfs (well played @skinnyghost)!

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2012, 12:14:39 PM »
Did someone ever took a race without bonus in your games?

Yeah, I'd be curious about this, too.  It feels very strange to me.

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2012, 12:20:30 PM »
Also.  Now I have to write me some awesome dwarfs (well played @skinnyghost)!
Yes please! I lurv me some dwarf action!
-Jeremiah

Chroma

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2012, 07:41:28 PM »

Yeah, I'd be curious about this, too.  It feels very strange to me.

One of my players wanted to play a Half-Elf (decision based on being the child of his half-elven character from a previous D&D campaign), and went for it in Cleric, even without a bonus... will probably give him a custom one as the game continues.

Any suggestions?

And I do love all the options blooming in this thread!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 07:45:57 PM by Chroma »
"If you get shot enough times, your body will actually build up immunity to bullets. The real trick lies in surviving the first dozen or so..."
-- Pope Nag, RPG.net - UNKNOWN ARMIES

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2012, 08:10:59 PM »
Backstabbing with a 2-hander ftw!
lol (it's a link. Click on the lol.)

@stras: thanks! And long live to not-too-much-stereotyped dwarves!

will probably give him a custom one as the game continues.
Uuuuh that indeed seemed too strange to be real.

Well, who are half-elves in your games? Who are clerics is THE cleric? And above anything else: what do half-elf clerics do?

I just loved the only-ranger tolkienesque half-elf of DW—you know that guy, Aragorn—, but that's just in my games. Maybe in your games half-elves are silly easy-go silver-tongue pranksters. Or brave keepers of two legacies. Or maybe forsaken sons of forbidden love affairs. Tell us more about them!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 08:27:04 PM by (not that) adam »
Oh, the things we tell ourselves to feel better about the long, dark nights.

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2012, 08:56:54 PM »
I had a half-elven ranger in a game I ran a while back who took that move.  I asked "how come we didn't notice before?" and he said "I am ashamed - I'm a burden to both my parents and keep my lineage a secret" and I asked "so how come we know now?" and he narrated this little scene where his mother came to him in a tavern, wracked with sorrow, to tell him of his father's passing and the whole party was there.  It led to some really great stuff.  Another character (an elven Wizard) wrote a Bond about him, something like "Hawke bears the sorrow of an Elf with the bravery of a man.  He is truly a hero."

Inspiring stuff, right?

stras

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2012, 09:07:12 PM »
Another character (an elven Wizard) wrote a Bond about him, something like "Hawke bears the sorrow of an Elf with the bravery of a man.  He is truly a hero."

Inspiring stuff, right?

I love this game >_< great story.

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2012, 10:29:15 PM »

Yeah, I'd be curious about this, too.  It feels very strange to me.

I had a Dwarven ranger in one game (just a one-shot). They wanted to play a Delver. I didn't have the time to create something new for the class specifics and so allowed it with the caveat that they didn't get a Racial move associated with the class. I cut them some slack in other ways to sort of make up for it, but they still wanted to move ahead with the character concept. The group I generally play with loves playing against type (we all started gaming in the White Wolf system). Most people haven't wanted to choose a race that doesn't have a benefit, but there's definitely interest. I almost had an (dark) Elf thief at one point, and there's been interest in a Dwarven wizard/runecaster (which I'm actually going to be using as an NPC in the longer campaign I'm prepping).
"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)" -- Walt Whitman, Song of Myself

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2012, 09:25:38 AM »
Sorry if necro-ing this is an issue but uh, I'm gonna throw my hat in with some rogue modron moves:

Bard: When you use Discern Realities to examine a mechanical device, you can ask the GM to inform you how precisely that object functions (or doesn't function) as well as any methods of sabotage or repair.

Cleric: Because of your own nature as mechanical AND organic, you may repair devices with healing spells.

Fighter: Your ability to calculate battle situations has granted you a unique advantage, you can line enemies up perfectly which allows you to split your damage between two enemies with Hack and Slash.

Thief: When you try to talk your way out of a situation with law enforcement, take a +1 due to your attunement with the law.

Wizard: You are capable of thinking fast enough to construct a more effective arcane barrier from an ongoing spell (as per Spell Defense,) allowing you to subtract 1+the spell level from damage instead of just the spell level.

Any ideas? Criticisms? I know fighter and wizard are kind of janky.