Feature-Not-Bug in the Infernals' Unknowable?

• 3 Replies

Cneph

Feature-Not-Bug in the Infernals' Unknowable?
« on: June 25, 2012, 06:40:05 AM »
Love the game, I am only picking nits because I care.  

The Infernals' Unknowable move adds "they lose 1 String on you" as a 7-9 option on Lash out physically. As I read it, it is an additional option on the list, meaning you don't need to pick one of the three defaults.  In the vast majority of situations, I don't see this as a difficult choice or hard bargain.

Is that intentional, to encourage a bit of the old ultraviolence from the skin? Because as I read it, it means 7-9 has a Yes, and result rather than Yes, but. If I was playing a Werewolf or Chosen with a liking for approaching problem resolution through the application of force, this would be a very tempting other skin move, removing as it does the mechanical downside of a 7-9.  The fictional effects of using violence to solve your problems remain very much intact, obviously, and is that where you see the consequences being?

Re: Feature-Not-Bug in the Infernals' Unknowable?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 02:05:37 PM »
Cneph,

The "Unknowable" move managed to avoid revision after "Lash Out Physically" got revised, which is why the 7-9 result is a surprising "yes, and" in a field of "yes, but" options. Whoops.

But I've played it a couple times since then, and dig what it does: it turns ultraviolence into a powerful options with fewer downsides. It allows for careless and casual violence. That leads to provocative and terrible situations.

Cneph

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 03:17:08 PM »
Fair enough. Make the decision to (repeatedly) use violence the hard choice or ugly bargain.

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 03:22:48 PM »
For me the werewolf's primal dominance is in the same category.

The werewolf in my group uses it a lot, and he's now part of the football team as he wanted,... but all the good players are now unable to play (hospital and things like that) and the team totally lost their match. The werewolf even died on the field due to accumulated fights and choose the only possible option : loose all strings he had to survive without turning into a wolf.

So, yes go on, fight and gain a string :)

The ghoul of my group has "short rest for the wicked". So yes he is brought back to life and fully healed, but (as I play it) not in good shape. His neck has been broken, so he has to put some minerva or something inside his neck or throat so that his head doesn't "hang" on a side. Or he can get some necromantic caretakers after all. Potent move, but with a price

Another move I created for my Feline skin allows you to gain back a string when you inflict a condition on your "prey of the moment" (when you have no more strings on him/her, you're bored and you choose another one). So basically, you can inflict a Condition to your prey each scene. How many time will it take before he retaliates or put a definitive end to all this ? Potent move but voluntarily leading to terrible situations
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 03:33:51 PM by Kalysto »