Dungeon World Scantheon

• 3 Replies
Dungeon World Scantheon
« on: June 17, 2012, 10:34:42 PM »
You're playing in a Skyrim-inspired Dungeon World campaign world.

Do you prefer a "real-world" Norse gods pantheon or "inspired by" names that, while vaguely Scandinavian are different?  "Real world" Norse gods would inevitably be getting a fantasy world twist so only the names and general areas of concern would remain, so to speak.

Why?

Recall the traditions of Deities and Demigods and the mishmash glory of the Judges Guild's Wilderlands before you answer.  :)

noofy

Re: Dungeon World Scantheon
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 11:21:49 PM »
Real Skandinavian names are the bomb. You are appropriating from a large cultural grouping (though similar) and the cultural cohesion just gives the game a deep-seated sense of history and actuality. Just grab an online name list, or a small english to Scandinavian dictionary handy at the table for those spout lore rolls.

Its good to replace common terms with the Norsk equivalent too. So Castle becomes Slott, sorcery becomes Trolldom, a Knight is a Ridder, gold is mynt etc...

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 10:58:15 AM »
Real Skandinavian names are the bomb. You are appropriating from a large cultural grouping (though similar) and the cultural cohesion just gives the game a deep-seated sense of history and actuality. Just grab an online name list, or a small english to Scandinavian dictionary handy at the table for those spout lore rolls.

Its good to replace common terms with the Norsk equivalent too. So Castle becomes Slott, sorcery becomes Trolldom, a Knight is a Ridder, gold is mynt etc...
Gold is actually Gull in norse, in swedish its Guld. also mynt = Coins
Slott is the same in both norweigen and swedish, knight we use riddare.
One Riddare(knight), many riddare (knights)...swedish is a hard and sometimes weird language.
Fell free to checkout iceland language = http://www.dicts.info/2/english-icelandic.php its cool like ice

noofy

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 03:31:53 PM »
Thanks, Dovre! I'm just a novice and my remembered vocabulary (and spelling!) is severely lacking. Sorry for the incorrect translation :)  You my friend demonstrate my point exactly!

Do it Nemo! Use Scandinavian, it sounds so wickedly cool! Please let us know how it goes if you get it up and running.