Defend

• 22 Replies
Re: Defend
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2012, 11:22:07 AM »
Yes, it's stated in the moves discussion. In my pdf, at page 308:
Defending yourself is certainly an option. It amounts to giving up on making attacks and just trying to keep yourself safe.

Thanks for pointing that out!

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2012, 04:30:13 AM »
Thanks forever ones thoughts. :)

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2012, 11:50:05 PM »
Defending yourself is certainly an option. It amounts to giving up on making attacks and just trying to keep yourself safe.

Reading the pre-release pdf and it struck me that "giving up on making attacks" could mean when you're defending yourself you can't pick  option 4: Deal damage to the attacker equal to your level. Is that right?

noclue

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2012, 03:54:24 PM »
You could house rule that I guess, but it doesn't seem necessary.
James R.

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
     --HERBERT SPENCER

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2012, 07:17:20 PM »
I think that dealing damage by defending is not an attack; it's based neither on your damage nor on the weapon you're using. However, what is that deals damage comes purely by the fiction, and if you are attacking, then it's not defending.
Oh, the things we tell ourselves to feel better about the long, dark nights.

noofy

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2012, 09:38:22 PM »
Adam has the right of it methinks. Author in your character managing to hurt whatever they are defending against in a fictionally satisfying way, then  Deal the damage by  your level.

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2012, 06:53:08 AM »
I see: both offensive and defensive actions can deal damage. Yeah, that's  makes sense. Thanks.

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2012, 09:20:24 PM »
I'm totally OK with a character doing more damage on a Defend but taking damage in the process. I think it's also worth pointing out that the holds gained from the Defend move don't stack. If you have 1 hold left from a previous Defend and then roll a 10+, I'm pretty sure you *don't* have 4 hold but still only have 3 hold. The Defend move says "you hold 3" and not "you hold +3".

As a contrary opinion, I think they do stack. It does say "hold 3" not "choose 3" (as in Discern Realities). I also don't require the defended target to be "about to take damage right now", just "under attack" broadly. ("The orc army begins its charge, what do you do?" "I stand in defense of the Wizard!" "Great, roll+Con"...)

Of course, if a player just spends the whole fight defending, they'd better find some way of making that interesting, for their own sake, if nothing else!