Intro Moves

• 3 Replies
Intro Moves
« on: June 11, 2012, 12:57:53 PM »
I utterly love the example Introductory Move given for the Fighter at the end of Appendix 3.  I want to draft similar ones for the other classes, but have been ultimately drawing blanks.  Anyone used anything like that successfully before?  Any examples?   (I feel like I've seen them crop up here before, but nothing sticks out.)

Re: Intro Moves
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 01:40:00 PM »
From an adventure about fungus people and a bad fall.  I'd planned to add three item options to each one - so that each adventurer would have a special item to take with them, but I never finished that list.  You can see the thief has an option related to this.

Learned loreseeker,

The fall might have jarred your brains a little but when the dust clears, you realize that these caverns look familiar to you.  In some ancient book or song you’ve heard of this place before - you’ve crash-landed in the fabled halls of the mushroom men.  These creatures are a strange and alien race.  It will be a dangerous trek to return to the surface.  If you wrack your brain, you might be able to remember something helpful...

Think real hard and …
ROLL + INT - on a 10+ choose 2 facts on a 7-9 just one and on a miss, none of these are true.

- the mushroom men are fabled to harvest a fungus that can grant youth and vigor, certainly, this would be a valuable find - if you can recover it, you can sell it for a great sum of gold

- a fungus that grows on the walls of these caverns may serve you as ingredients for a healing potion.  if you take the time to craft it, you can add one such potion to your inventory.  you can do this only once, at the start of the adventure.

- your knowledge of the lore of the mushroom men grants you or your allies a benefit in any struggles you might have against them - take +3 forward that you can use in any roll during this adventure (or, if you’d like, give to an ally on any roll they make, such is the benefit of your fine advice)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 01:44:40 PM by skinnyghost »

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 01:42:52 PM »
Blessed faithful,

Truly, you have been granted an opportunity.  Yes, the fall was rough and in this dank cavern you find yourself with many scrapes and bruises to attend to but is not every danger a means to prove your devotion?  Is not every new challenge a way to prove yourself to your god?

Say a prayer for your success and...
ROLL + WIS, on a 10+ all three blessings are laid upon you, on a 7-9 just one, on a miss, your god does not hear you; you are on your own.

- Praise to your gods! They grant you fortune; you may reroll one roll roll whose outcome you do not like

- Hail to your gods!  They grant you strength; you may, once during the adventure, choose to take 0 damage when you would normally take any damage more than 1.

- Glory to your gods!  They grant you fury; you may, once during the adventure, instead of doing your normal damage, do double your normal damage instead.

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 01:44:00 PM »
Stealthy shadow-stalker,

It is said that cats always land on their feet.  Sadly, the same cannot be said of humanoids.  Pick yourself up; the dusty ground is no place for you.  After a quick check of your supplies (and the supplies of anyone else who might not be paying attention) you find a surprise or two amongst the packs. 

Inventory your inventory and... 
ROLL + DEX, on a 10+ choose 2, on a 7-9 choose 1, on a miss, well, you get what you got, you know?  Make due.

- choose an unclaimed item from another letter

- while rummaging, you detect the scent of fresh air - the GM will, when appropriate, tell you a secret about a room in this dungeon

- you tamper with the pack of another character - take a +2 forward the next time you purloin an item of theirs (decide who it was when you make the roll)