Multiclass grants both Animal Companion & Command moves?

• 5 Replies
Multiclass grants both Animal Companion & Command moves?
« on: June 02, 2012, 10:14:38 PM »
I searched the forums but I couldn't find anything on the matter. So, Commune & Cast a spell count as a move for Multiclass Dabbler/Initiate/Master. It's the same for Animal Companion & Command?
Oh, the things we tell ourselves to feel better about the long, dark nights.

noofy

Re: Multiclass grants both Animal Companion & Command moves?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 03:59:37 AM »
I would say so Adam, though if there was already a ranger in the party, I might suggest a wildly divergent companion both in species and temperament.

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 10:43:38 AM »
well I think then it should be specified in the move description!

Thank you again! Yeah, I was just thinking about a fighter and his horse while making custom fighter moves :)

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 05:03:01 PM »
I'd say that, generally speaking, the animal and command don't fall under multiclass as such.  That said, ignore me if your players both a) really want it and b) can fictionally represent it with time spent and narrative push.  Moves being descriptive and prescriptive, right? 

Spending your downtime finding and bonding to an animal companion could very easily net you those moves, if you commit to it.

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 06:32:36 PM »
Thank you! Just wondering that in this way multiclassing to get an animal companion does not gives crunchy benefits.

Now I'm thinking about 4th edition style multiclassing; having a 2-5 level move for each class that anyone can take and that gives the basic signature moves of that class, somewhat tweaked if they end up being too powerful, and a 6-10 level move to improve the existing moves to be almost on par with the actual class.

For example

2-5
Arcane Dabbler: you get spellbook, prepare spells and spellcasting as a wizard. Treat your wizard level for as half your actual level when preparing and casting spells.

6-10
Arcane Initiate: treat your wizard level as your actual level -1 when preparing and casting spells.

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 06:53:25 PM »
Thank you! Just wondering that in this way multiclassing to get an animal companion does not gives crunchy benefits.

Now I'm thinking about 4th edition style multiclassing; having a 2-5 level move for each class that anyone can take and that gives the basic signature moves of that class, somewhat tweaked if they end up being too powerful, and a 6-10 level move to improve the existing moves to be almost on par with the actual class.

For example

2-5
Arcane Dabbler: you get spellbook, prepare spells and spellcasting as a wizard. Treat your wizard level for as half your actual level when preparing and casting spells.

6-10
Arcane Initiate: treat your wizard level as your actual level -1 when preparing and casting spells.

This is basically the way I've been running it.  It just seemed a bit too powerful the other way.