Very small tweaks on stat scores

• 10 Replies
Very small tweaks on stat scores
« on: June 02, 2012, 11:25:14 AM »
There are various reasons you don't want to hear about on why I came up with this post. While it's about very small changes, I know how we nerds pay great attention to details when it comes to games we love so I posted it anyways.

• First, just like it was in D&D before the third edition, a score of 12 has a modifier of +0, not +1 as in DW. I never understood the goal of this small departure from the original rules!

• Then, the starting scores are a bit different: instead of a 17 you have a 16 and instead of an 11 you have a 12. Now this does not change the modifiers on those stats and it's better suited for the next tweak.

• Finally, instead of increasing a score by 2 points on levels 3, 6 and 9, you just increase one score by 1 point every even level.

I will not report the actual math, but those rules make less painful to spread your attention on more stats than just maximizing the highest two, while focusing on those two produces the same result as the current rules; and saying "every even level raise a stat score by 1" is a bit simpler than "on level 3, 6 and 9 raise a stat score by 2". It also eliminates the issue of "what when I raise a score of 17 by 2 points?".

I hope someone here will find those tweaks helpful. See you!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 01:05:28 PM by adam »
Oh, the things we tell ourselves to feel better about the long, dark nights.

sage

Re: Very small tweaks on stat scores
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 12:59:33 PM »
Hm, those are some smart ideas!

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 02:07:52 PM »
Love it. 

It provides a gratifying sense of progression slightly more often than the current system.

It feels right to me to get a stat bonus at level 10.

It also delays by *at least* one level (from 3rd to 4th) the uber +3-in-the-primary-ability power-up tier which I prefer for personal, mostly grognard-y reasons.

I say *at least* because at a player's first level-up there will be a strong temptation (and an interesting choice) to improve their 15 score to 16 to have a second +2 mod rather than raise their primary stat to 17 for the same bonus they had previously.

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 02:29:44 PM »
@Sage
thank you!

@nemomeme
you explained so well the core concepts of what I tried to do that you convinced me Sage told the truth in his post! Thanks :D
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 03:24:44 PM by adam »

noofy

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 05:53:28 PM »
Ooooh, now those are some cool beans! Well thought out and explained Adam (and Nemo). Hmmmmm, what to do in terms of implementation at the table? I'll pitch it too the group whom we have just started with a new game - 1 session in -  and brand new characters, none of whom have leveled yet.

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 12:04:22 PM »
Could be missing something obvious, but if you go by one every even level, won't that give you just 5 additional points, whereas the original system gave you 6?

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 12:08:04 PM »
Indeed.

But the original rules also force you to raise a score by 2. And when you raise a score of 17, well, here you wasted 1 point. Raising two stats to 18 makes you waste 2 points: 17->18 & 15->17->18

sage

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 12:33:47 PM »
Adam (the other Adam, skinnyghost) and I have been talking about this and, well, it makes a lot of sense. I think it's going to become the official way to do it.

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 06:37:38 PM »
I'm so glad I could help, even if in such a small thing!

sage

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 06:49:59 PM »
adam, we'd like to make sure people know you're participating ;) What name would you like added to the Contributors section of the thanks chapter?

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2012, 07:03:02 PM »
right!

Alessandro "Adam" Gianni

this "adam" thing started before high school and now even my dad sometimes calls me adam °L° it's weird. But I think it's something I care about!

Anyway, thank you! Now I just have to decide what kickstarter option should I take!