Using Dice - Best and Worst - Question

• 2 Replies

P2

Using Dice - Best and Worst - Question
« on: June 04, 2012, 08:47:47 AM »
Hi guys,

I got a question about the "Best and Worst" thing in using the dice (page 8).

"If there's a "·b" at the end instead of adding them together you take the best one ('b' for 'best'), so 2d6·b+1 means "roll two six-sided dice and take the best one and add one to it." A "·w" at the end means you take the worst result, so 2d6·w means "roll two six-sided dice and take the worst one."

I understood the mechanics (DnD next is using something close in advantage and disvantage rules), and I liked it, but I didn't see this much in the moves rules. What happened? Are you still implementing it or changing something we don't see yet to add this rules?

Maybe it'll be great for certain Class moves... "hey i'm __ class, I'm good at doing ___, so when I roll for ___ I get the best dice."

Or, using DnD next as an example, tweak this rule a little bit to something like. When you have an advantage roll 3d6 and choice the best two.
When you have a disvantage roll 3d6 and choice the worst two.

So, lets say, bards are good at deceiving people (the silver tongue bard custom move I use to replace charming and open). When you try to deceive other you got advantage in defy danger. Roll 3d6 and choice the best two dices.

Re: Using Dice - Best and Worst - Question
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 05:04:46 PM »
You see this rule in play primarily (though not exclusively) in the monsters section, to represent groups of creatures being more efficient at dealing damage.

It's a cool mechanic, though, and could definitely be used in custom moves elsewhere.  I wouldn't, though, use it to mess with the 2d6 + X core rule of the game, though - that one has a pretty specific margin of fail / complication / win and could be dramatically unbalanced without lots of care.

Re: Using Dice - Best and Worst - Question
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 09:41:01 PM »
I wouldn't, though, use it to mess with the 2d6 + X core rule of the game, though - that one has a pretty specific margin of fail / complication / win and could be dramatically unbalanced without lots of care.
Agreed. I wouldn't want to see the core mechanic changed. I like how the odds of a hit are good, but there's nothing you can do to affect it once you roll.