Vampires walking in the sunlight

• 4 Replies
Vampires walking in the sunlight
« on: May 31, 2012, 07:33:35 AM »
What if I want that vampires are not able to go outside and walk in the sunlight? I worried about having to go to school. Night school? Just does not sound so good. Maybe vampires are vulnerable to sunlight only during their Darkest Self. That sounds interesting, at least.

What do you think?

Re: Vampires walking in the sunlight
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 07:44:48 AM »
The simplest way to approach this is on the level of the conversation: as with The Werewolf deciding when they transform and how much control they have in bestial form, you could discuss this kind of obstacle for The Vampire when sitting down to create a game. Playing a typical Buffy-like vampire who bursts into flames in sunlight would be interesting and certainly provides all sorts of interesting opportunities, e.g. do you choose to expose yourself to sunlight and take harm in order to achieve ssomething that  is important to your character? In that sense, going out into the sunshine would push you towards your Darkest Self more rapidly.

On the other hand, I like the idea that an additional restriction to their Darkest Self is that they cannot abide the touch of the sun, so all their subsequent scenes have to take place in night and darkness. Perhaps an alternative way of escaping their DS would be along the lines of choosing to burn in the sun for the sake of another?

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 03:34:54 PM »
Alejandro,

When the group sits down to play, that's one of the questions that the MC should ask the vampire player: "Are you able to go out in the sunlight? If so, how?"

If the player isn't interested in addressing the whole sunlight threat, then ignore it. I've played games where the vampire was simply really pale and burned easily, so they didn't like hanging around in sunny places. I've also played games where if sunlight touched a vampire, they burst into flames.

The MC should ask the player how it works, and build on the answer.

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 07:51:42 PM »
You can always choose the Bram Stoker's approach, by making vampires not turn into ash, but rather having problems using his powers while in the sun.

The Dracula from Bram Stoker actually walked in the sun without becoming a pile of ashes -- it was uncomfortable for him (he had to shield his eyes with eyeglasses) and it seemed his powers were diminished, but he could still function perfectly still, otherwise.

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 07:52:53 AM »
Thanks for the answers. I think I'm going to wait until the first session and ask to the other players what they want to do about this issue.