Help me understand The Fae

• 5 Replies
Help me understand The Fae
« on: May 27, 2012, 05:21:34 PM »
So I'm going to begin MCing a game of Monsterhearts next weekend, and I need a bit of help with the Fae.

I get that the Fae's schtick is to extract promises, and I love the overall feel of its moves, but fictionally the Fae isn't doing it for me. When I think of any of the other Skins, I can immediately conjure up both some notions about folklore and myths, and some specific characters from more recent fiction/television/movies who fit the Skin well.

I'm just looking for recommendations on those two specific things: What should I read/watch to get a feel for the Fae in terms of its myth/folklore, and in terms of characters who fit the Fae mold in recent fiction?

Re: Help me understand The Fae
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 11:32:42 PM »
It's general urban fantasy rather than teen drama, but the Dresden Files has some pretty good fae stuff. The first book only has the godmother, the fourth book gets heavy into it, including some changelings -- half-mortals children who live as humans until they face a choice as teenagers to go all one or all the other, good drama there. I like the books, but you could just harvest the wiki entries.

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 03:55:23 AM »
I can't think of many capital F Fairies I really dig, but I like the other mother in Coraline for this - She's all "I give you lots of wonderful stuff! Now just promise me you'll let me do weird invasive things!"

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 02:19:54 AM »
I'm just looking for recommendations on those two specific things: What should I read/watch to get a feel for the Fae in terms of its myth/folklore, and in terms of characters who fit the Fae mold in recent fiction?

Graphic novel: "The Good Neighbors, Book One: Kin"

Book: Neverwhere, by Neil Gaiman

Movie: Pan's Labyrinth, Peter Pan

Television Show: True Blood, seasons 3-4 (spoiler: Sookie realizes she's a fae)

RPG Text: Changeling
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 02:27:35 AM by mcdaldno »

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 09:35:53 AM »
Graphic novel: god save the queen by Mike Carey
Merry Gentry by Laurell K. Hamilton

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 08:59:09 PM »
I got my hands on a few of the sources you all recommended, and I've got enough of a feel for the Skin now that I'm sure I can MC with it in play without bursting into flames. Thanks everybody, much appreciated.