DM Playbook

• 9 Replies
DM Playbook
« on: June 07, 2012, 08:35:11 AM »
Are you planning on having a GM/DM playbook like the MC one for AW?

Re: DM Playbook
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 10:31:50 AM »
It's definitely on the to-do list.  We're hoping to have some Fronts and GM playbooks ready by the time the final iteration of the game goes "to print".

Chroma

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 12:47:18 PM »
Will these be legal tri-folds or letter-sized documents?

I *LOVE* me some tri-folds... it's so much fun fanning out pamphlets when starting a new game...
"If you get shot enough times, your body will actually build up immunity to bullets. The real trick lies in surviving the first dozen or so..."
-- Pope Nag, RPG.net - UNKNOWN ARMIES

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 07:09:00 PM »
Trifolds are sweet but US legal is non-existent in Australia so it's painful paper size. For AW I even went  so far as to trim down A3 paper, more expensive and time-consuming, just because printing legal documents on A4 paper is so shit. I'm loving that the Beta 2.3 character sheets print so well on A4 paper.

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 09:49:35 PM »
Yes, A4 is much easier.

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 10:18:25 AM »
I'm a huge fan of the trifolds, too, but if you don't live in a place where they're easy to get, they can be annoying.  We're leaning more towards standard-sized sheets, but we'll see.  We're still experimenting!

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 10:49:10 AM »
I do find it somewhat amusing to see the focus of this discussion revolving around the size of paper that will be used to create the document, and not the actual content that will be on the document.

I'm planning on putting together a playbook for myself this weekend. I think I'm going to try to include:

- Agenda
- Principles
- Moves
- Names
- Tags

Really, I could probably get away with a list of names, but I like to be through, and to have a quick reference during "mind blank" moments.

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 11:22:54 AM »
I would have loved something like a sort of Front Playbook, with empty spaces where you can write the front with pencils. Just like a character sheet, but for the GM and about the front.
Oh, the things we tell ourselves to feel better about the long, dark nights.

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 11:34:28 AM »
I agree that would help new GM's get the basic structure of Fronts. Worksheets can definitely be handy in a pinch.

noofy

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 05:20:39 PM »
I made my own once the steading rules came out that I printed 'blocks' of text (moves, principles, custom moves, names, instincts etc) and cut them out. I then stuck them around the margins of our huge butcher's paper map that sat in the middle of the table. Always there for easy reference. And whenever I used a name I could cross it off the list on the map (which doubled as a relationship map too).

It strangley acted as a cue to the players too. 'Hey, have we had an arcane enemy as a danger yet? That sounds awesome! Where can we find one?'