Stacking conditions

• 3 Replies
Stacking conditions
« on: April 15, 2012, 01:00:10 PM »
What happens when, for example, a PC rolls to hold steady, gets the 7-9 result, but already has the Condition terrified?

Can the player choose the "pick an option from the 10 up list but also gain the Condition terrified" but simply ignore the second part of the clause?

Or is the player barred from that choice?

Similarly with the 7-9 choices in gaze into the abyss?

Or should this be handled in the fiction instead?

Re: Stacking conditions
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 04:08:45 PM »
I play it that if you've already got the terrified Condition, you can still pick that option but the second terrified just fizzles. But a case could easily be made for doing it differently.

My rationale for doing it the way I do is, "Uh, it doesn't really matter and I'd prefer to have a smooth gameplay experience, where I don't have to correct players and nitpick their choices."

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 02:18:02 PM »
Having two of a condition would seem to work fine in the fiction (you're extra freaked out or tired). If it's invoked, it has twice the effect, and it wears off more slowly by stages. It would also discourage people who are already terrified/drained from just going for those moves more, since a weak hit has less downside. Whether that's good or bad is probably subjective.

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 03:08:22 PM »
The rulebook specifically states that conditions don't double up; no 2xfreaked out.

In the specific instance where the player asked about his choices, I suggested that his terrified couldn't be removed (since that was his original, explicit goal). In the fiction, it made sense, but it did cause us to scratch our heads.

In either case, thanks for quickly answering my questions, mcdaldno! This game has been fun, but also challenging!