Re-imagining the Ghost

• 6 Replies

SJE

Re-imagining the Ghost
« on: April 10, 2012, 04:59:07 PM »
I'm a tremendous fan of Monsterhearts, having played in 2 great games, but at the moment I'm struggling a little with the Ghost (and no ones picked it so far, so I havent seen it in play).

My first thought was that if a PC dies then they should have the option of taking the Ghost Skin for their character, if appropriate.  Its a little bit Hex or Being Human, but I think it works.

My second issue was that I thought the ghost might need to treat harm differently - as its already dead, I'm not sure how punching a ghost might harm it - perhaps they need a move like "Incorporeal- you cannot normally be harmed by physical attacks - except for 3 exceptions. e.g. All Hallows Eve/salt/ defiling your remains/being forgotten.  List your 3 exceptions"

Thoughts?

SJE

Re: Re-imagining the Ghost
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 05:19:26 PM »
I'm not sure I could say exactly why, but I'm also in the camp of people uninspired by the ghost and who haven't seen anyone choose it in play, although I'm not sure I could put my finger on why (and as such I'm not sure if there's a problem or if it just doesn't align with my preference). Perhaps part of it is the nature of ghosts as more post-death than even other undead skins, and the impression that their story is over?

Perhaps I just need to consume more ghost fiction. Recommendations?

SJE

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 06:55:25 PM »
I'll admit I havent read much fiction with the ghost as protagonist- and on TV, free willed ghosts only really showed up on Being Human or Hex - usually the Supernatural approach is taken, wherin the ghosts are repeaters or completely consumed by their pain/anger.

One thing that I've seen twice now, if that when people want to tell a story about a character who died under mysterious circumstances, or was brought back, then they choose the Ghoul instead (returned by either the Witch or Infernal).

Another thing that mitigates against the ghost being chosen is that it really gets the short straw in its playbook verbal description at the beginning of the game. Give it a bit more oomph, emphasising their tragedy, voyeurism  or passions might see more take up.

SJE

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 01:25:24 AM »
Bummer that you're not connecting with The Ghost. It's one of my favourites.

I've seen a fair number of people take The Ghost, and lots of people get hooked in by its "barely there" flavour text. Ghosts tend to be really back-and-forth. One minute they're fawning over you and listening to you talk about your problems, and the next their haunting your house or committing arson or something zany.

I've always handled ghosts as being more-or-less corporeal all the time, except when at their Darkest Self or specifically saying otherwise. They take damage like normal, deal damage like normal, and can die (but this time, it's "for real"). This is closer to the definition of ghost seen in some Japanese horror movies.

Perhaps I just need to consume more ghost fiction. Recommendations?

Watch the first season of Misfits. Simon is a Ghost. Sure, in the show, he's not actually a dead person. But he might as well be. And he embodies "The Ghost" perfectly, as it's currently written.

That all said, I'd love to see an alternate version of The Ghost that captured some other vibe. Design away! I think a good Skin answers these questions:
  • What's their deal, physically?
  • What's their deal, emotionally?
  • What's their deal, sexually?
  • What's their deal, socially?

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 02:00:28 PM »
There was a case similar to Simon in one Buffy episode (first season I think), you've also got The invisible from David Goyer where "ghostliness" is due to being nearly dead but not fully dead.

The Ghost I had on my, for the moment, only session is determined to help people (abused or bullied) because that's what pushed her to commit suicide. But by helping people she in fact hopes to get consideration. Moreover it can maybe evovle in a kind of Munchausen syndrom, as she already decides who needs her help, even if they have no problem (so creating problem to help after seems to be the next step). At the end of the session I made her discover voyeurism. She's also great friend with the ghoul, and they play totally different.

My ghoul is blasé (burnt out? not sure of the right term in english), fully negative, craving for proximity/similarity with others, causing uneasiness on girls by barely talking or touching them while my Ghost is fully obsessed by those she "has" or protect, not unsimilar to Gollum and his precious.

SJE

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 07:07:23 PM »
I wonder if a Ghost might need to be all about the Strings - perhaps only being perceived by or able to touch those those she has a string on?  And if they ever lose all their strings, then they fade away, forgotten by the world?

SJE

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 07:25:40 PM »
Okay, Simon's a big help, as are Kalysto's examples -- I'd watched Misfits, but not made the connection. There does seem to be the aspect of being fixated on your death, but the angst and slow revelation of the past on Vampire Diaries has given me something to work with on that. I also like the idea of Ghost as emotionally unstable and mood-swingy.

So, inspiration achieved. Thanks, folks.