Ranger's companion - ferocity?

• 4 Replies

noofy

Ranger's companion - ferocity?
« on: March 20, 2012, 02:27:10 AM »
Love the new beta rules :)

My regular ranger player and I are curious about ferocity in the companion animal's statblock...
 Do you roll the number once at creation? or is it an added die (or two) for subsequent rolls? We've assumed its a one off roll (though I've offered the mean of 2d4 instead of rolling if she wants), since it really only effects the number of strengths of her wolf, and how he adds damage in battle.

sage

Re: Ranger's companion - ferocity?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 02:08:35 PM »
The idea is you choose a number of strengths equal to the number of dice. You roll those dice when your animal companion aids you in dealing damage. We'll clean up the wording.

The reasoning here is: +2 to a move is HUGE. That made a fighting animal companion too big a deal. This way it's still a big bonus, but doesn't keep you from getting into trouble.

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 05:17:19 PM »
Interesting, I made the same comment when I first saw a +2 stat with a +2 for companion. Making a miss only on snakeyes (2.8%).

I know I for one will not allow players to get better than +3 unless it is temporary and situational. Giving a +1 in DW is so much different than in a D20 system. The spread of rolls is small and bell shaped. A +1 affects rolls so much more. Have not read Beta yet, but I will be interested if there is inclusion of magic weapons (with pluses to hit). In my campaign, I prefer strange powers over dice modifications.

Glenn

sage

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 05:40:30 PM »
We explicitly say that magic doesn't mean +1 to anything. Magic is magic. It does strange stuff that breaks the laws of physics, describe it and play it.

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 06:37:22 PM »
I know I for one will not allow players to get better than +3 unless it is temporary and situational. Giving a +1 in DW is so much different than in a D20 system. The spread of rolls is small and bell shaped. A +1 affects rolls so much more. Have not read Beta yet, but I will be interested if there is inclusion of magic weapons (with pluses to hit). In my campaign, I prefer strange powers over dice modifications.

Yep, that's in the equipment section for magic items. Pluses to hit and such are "in the realm of the mundane."