Spy game hack

• 3 Replies
Spy game hack
« on: March 11, 2012, 06:25:01 AM »
Hey all, I am interested in doing a "spy game" hack of AW. A game like Top Secret, or Spycraft to name a couple.

I have taken a stab at a very rough draft of the hack and its available here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5006181/Spy%20World%20-%20AW%20Hack.pdf

Its by no means done, I only have the very basics laid out. But if anyone is interested in giving me some feedback I would love to hear it!

Re: Spy game hack
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 09:30:38 PM »
Shamelessly bumping for attention :)

One thing I would love feedback on is the archetypes (more detail in the link in the post above):
The Fixer:
Description
Well connected and good in a pinch, the Fixer can get you what you need, or get you out of a bad situation.
Stats
Cool+2  Hard+1  Hot-1  Sharp-1 Network+2 
Cool+1  Hard+1  Hot-2  Sharp+1 Network+2 
Cool+0  Hard-0  Hot+2  Sharp+0 Network+2 
Cool-1  Hard-1  Hot+1  Sharp+2 Network+2

The Face:
Description
Charming and sociable, the Face is a master at using people to get what he wants.
Stats
Choose one set:
Cool+2  Hard-2  Hot+2  Sharp-1 Network+2 
Cool+1  Hard-1  Hot+2  Sharp+1 Network+1 
Cool+0  Hard-1  Hot+2  Sharp+2 Network+1 
Cool-1  Hard+1  Hot+2  Sharp-1 Network+2

The Heavy:
Description
A master of combat and no stranger to violence, the Heavy is the gal you want with you when bullets start flying.
Stats
Choose one set:
Cool+1  Hard+2  Hot-1  Sharp+1 Network+0 
Cool-1  Hard+2  Hot-2  Sharp+1 Network+2
Cool+1  Hard+2  Hot-2  Sharp+2 Network-1
Cool+2  Hard+2  Hot-2  Sharp+0 Network+0

The Thief:
Description
A master of stealth and agility and always calm under pressure, the Thief is good in tight spots and dark corners.
Stats
Choose one set:
Cool+2  Hard+1  Hot-2  Sharp+2 Network-1 
Cool+2  Hard-2  Hot+2  Sharp+0 Network+1
Cool+2  Hard-1  Hot-1  Sharp+1 Network+2
Cool+2  Hard+0  Hot+0  Sharp+1 Network+0

The Expert:
Description
Brilliant and knowledgeable, The Expert always has the right gadget or piece of knowledge to get out of a pinch.
Stats
Choose one set:
Cool+1  Hard-2  Hot-1  Sharp+2 Network+2 
Cool+1  Hard+1  Hot-1  Sharp+2 Network-1 
Cool-2  Hard-1  Hot+1  Sharp+2 Network+2 
Cool+1  Hard+1  Hot-1  Sharp+2 Network+0

Basic Moves
Tap your network (replaces Open your brain)
When you tap your network, roll+network. On a hit, the MC will tell you something new and interesting about the current situation, and might ask you a question or two; answer them. On a 10+, the MC will give you good detail. On a 7–9, the MC will give you an impression. If you already know all there is to know, the MC will tell you that.

Tapping your network requires time and access to people who might know something. If you do not have the time to find people and talk to them (even if only over the phone) then you cannot tap your network.

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 12:34:12 AM »
Have you heard of John Wick's "Wilderness of Mirrors" ? If not, here is his livejournal post that was its seed: http://wickedthought.livejournal.com/472689.html

Ok, now that that's out there, I think that the archetypes are pretty spot on when I watch spy movies, but the archetypes are not what I am interested in with spies (ok, I love spytech most, but really that's just the window dressing). Why are the spies together (and is that a central concept for your vision of the game)?  Did they all get burned? Are they rogue agents for the greater good or just some guys out for the loot? Is this a mission from Control? And how will that loop back into the experience of play?

Instead of fronst will you create a mission generator like Agents of Oblivion or the conspiracy pyramid like Night Black Agents?

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 02:32:03 AM »