Stats & Basic Moves?

• 23 Replies
Stats & Basic Moves?
« on: July 27, 2010, 09:19:29 PM »
When you gaze into the abyss, roll +dark.
On a 10+, choose 3: it shows you what you asked to see; it's telling the truth; carry +1 forward when confronting the situation; it could always have been worse. On a 7-9, choose up to 3 from that list, but suffer 1 harm for each. On a miss, the abyss shows you whatever the fuck it wants to, and then threatens you. Meet its' demand, or become your Darkest Self.

Re: Stats & Basic Moves?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 09:38:09 PM »
this is totally a stylistic suggestion, but one thing I like about AW proper is how all the stats (except for Hx) are adjectives.  So someone can say, like "That dude?  Watch out, he's really fucking hard" and it doesn't seem weird the way it would in other games if a character talks about someone's "charisma."

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 09:45:23 PM »
"That dude? The one who always sits in the corner by himself, just staring off blankly? That dude is so fucking dark. What's his problem, anyways?"

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 01:00:31 PM »
Yeah, you're totally on that road now, I'm just saying I hope you stay there.  :)  At one point you were talking about a stat you were calling "sway" and that name doesn't work in that way.  But it's a style thing, so I don't think there's any right answers, either.

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 02:20:23 PM »
Hot, Cold, Fickle, Steady, Dark.

When you manipulate, roll +hot.
(getting what you want)

When you turn others on, roll +hot.
(establishing strings)

When you keep others at a distance, roll +cold.
(canceling out others' strings)

When you take something from someone, roll +cold.
(taking stuff)

When you lash out, roll +fickle.
(forcing others to back off, hurting others)

When you back away, roll +fickle.
(escaping)

When you stay calm, roll +steady.
(acting under fire)

When you gaze into the abyss, roll +dark.
(portents and prophecies, crystal balls)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 02:22:54 PM by mcdaldno »

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 04:00:04 PM »
Fickle sounds a little weak to my ear.

How about Wild instead?

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 04:12:38 PM »
Maybe. I was angling towards instability... impulsiveness... entering fight or flight mode instead of keeping your nerve about you.

Fiesty, Impulsive, Unstable, Reactive, Tense, Wild...

I don't know if wild captures it, exactly.

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 04:15:21 PM »
Feral? Unruly?

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2010, 04:19:23 PM »
Volatile. Done and done.

I want it to sound messy and based-upon-fear, not awesome.
Feral and Wild both sound way too bad-ass.

Volatile.

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2010, 08:51:16 PM »
Alright, in the end, Christian won and I retitled that stat Unruly.

Hot means fucking gorgeous, alluring, exciting, hot, someone you can't stop thinking about, whose secrets you want to learn about.

Cold means cold-hearted, calculating, steely, unwavering, able to sever ties and move on, able to be cruel.

Steady means calm, cautious, collected, able to blend in, able to handle sketchy situations, good at keeping secrets.

Unruly means volatile, impulsive, wild, feral, quick-tempered, quick to enter fight-or-flight mode.

Dark means spooky, weird, mysterious, sinister, dabbling in the occult, comfortable in darkness, powerful.

So, that's it. Hot, Cold, Steady, Unruly, Dark.

When you manipulate someone, roll +hot. For NPCs: On a 10+, they give you what you want if you make them feel like they're getting what they want. On a 7-9, they'll make a demand of you. Give them concrete assurances, and they'll give you what you want. For PCs: On a 10+, both. On a 7-9, choose one:
*if they do it, they mark experience
*if they don't do it, they need to try to keep it together
The choice is theirs.

When you turn someone on, roll +hot. On a 10+, take 1 String against them. On a 7-9, they choose one: give themselves to you, promise something they think you want, give you 1 String against them. On a miss, you've overplayed your hand.

When you shut others down, roll +cold. On a 10+, choose 3. On a 7-9, choose 2: they lose 1 String against you, they don't see your true weakness, you don't need to try to keep it together next time you see them, you don't look like a harsh asshole.

When you take something from someone, roll +cold. On a 10+, choose 3. On a 7-9, choose 1: you take definite hold of it, you don't leave yourself vulnerable (thus giving them +1forward to retaliate), you harm them, you frighten them.

When you try to keep it together, roll +steady. On a 10+, you're fine. On a 7-9, choose one: you freeze up, you lash out at someone, you garner suspicion. On a miss, you expose your true self to the wrong person.

When you lash out, roll +unruly. On a 10+, you harm them and choose 1: the harm is great (2), you gain 1 String on them, they need to try to keep it together in order to do anything about it. On a 7-9, you harm them and choose 1: they gain 1 String on you, you become your Darkest Self. On a miss, you are left vulnerable (giving them +1forward to retaliate), and the MC makes a hard move.

When you run away from a situation, roll +unruly. On a 10+, you get away and you're safe. On a 7-9, choose 2: you don't cause a commotion, you get away, the biggest threat doesn't gain a String on you, you don't run directly into something worse. On a miss, you don't get away at all, and the MC makes a hard move.

When you gaze into the abyss, roll +dark. On a hit, ask something of the abyss. On a 10+, choose 3: it shows you what you asked to see; it's telling the truth; carry +1 forward when confronting the situation; it could always have been worse. On a 7-9, choose up to 3 from that list, but suffer 1 harm for each. On a miss, the abyss shows you whatever the fuck it wants to, and then threatens you. Meet its demand, or become your Darkest Self.

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2010, 09:53:18 PM »
When you turn someone on
Only one question for the moment is this actually "when you TRY TO turn someone on"?

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2010, 11:39:28 PM »
Brian,

I hemmed and hawwed over the word choice for that one. Ultimately, I thought back to high school (a scant five years ago, so this was easy).

And it struck me.

Teenagers have no fucking control over what turns them on.

So, you say, "Right, so when you enter my bedroom (says the player of the ghoul), I'm still asleep, the covers low enough that my sparse shoulders and severe ribcage are exposed. The Smiths are playing. I'm so, so thin. In a way that makes you want to care for me, but also just fuck me until I fall apart. The whole scene turns you on."

It's kinda like "when you seduce or manipulate", except it has no goal or even negotiation on the table. It's just, "I wanna get under your skin."

So yeah, if I'd put the words "when you try to" at the start of every other move, I would have for this one as well. But, since I didn't, I didn't. It makes sense to me that hot teenagers don't need to take into consideration what others want, when they seduce. They can just throw their sexuality around like a live grenade.

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2010, 10:17:12 AM »
It just feels weird to me that I can declare that my character is turning yours on.  That's saying something pretty intimate about your character.

"When you enter my room, you see me sprawled on the floor, unconscious.  My eyes are open and you can't even tell if I'm breathing.  I look like I'm dead.  It turns you on."

So suddenly you're apparently turned on by dead people, and you had no say in this.

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2010, 04:47:58 PM »
So, you say, "Right, so when you enter my bedroom (says the player of the ghoul), I'm still asleep, the covers low enough that my sparse shoulders and severe ribcage are exposed. The Smiths are playing. I'm so, so thin. In a way that makes you want to care for me, but also just fuck me until I fall apart. The whole scene turns you on."

OK. That's the creepiest thing I've read all day . . .

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2010, 06:09:34 PM »
Hm.

I think there's a line between 'if you do it, do it' and 'if you say you're doing it, you get to do it.' It seems like what Joe's getting at is, "If you do something with your sexuality, something that's reasonably likely to turn your target on, then you a) can assume they are turned on and b) make a move."