Road wars

• 8 Replies
Road wars
« on: March 04, 2012, 03:35:18 AM »
How do you all handle harm in vehicular combat?

I have a driver who is using his vehicle as a weapon in a chase/fight. Reading through the book I see that a glancing hit with a car is 3-harm AP. I was thinking that when using his car to ram another car he would still do 3-harm but not AP with regards to the other car's armor.

Of course if he hits someone who is not in a car then its AP.

How have you handled this situation?

Re: Road wars
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 04:11:07 PM »
However seems appropriate at the time. Based just on what's in your post, I'd think this: If a glancing hit is 3-harm, I'd say a high-speed square on hit is 4-harm. Even though its generally ap, another vehicle can survive it much better. The armor soaks up some damage, the vehicle takes some and some may blow through from the sudden stop. Who wears seat belts, after all? The Driver's car is going to take the same amount in return, though, since its also hitting a car.

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 09:21:03 PM »
I was also thinking that if you use your car as the weapon against another car you take +1 harm on any other damage due to the collision impact. Otherwise, there was no mechanical difference between a car with mounted machine guns and one without.

So if you attempt to Sieze (the road) By Force using your car and the road gang does +2 harm they would do an additional +1 harm to your car due to collision.

Chroma

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 10:06:30 PM »
I was also thinking that if you use your car as the weapon against another car you take +1 harm on any other damage due to the collision impact. Otherwise, there was no mechanical difference between a car with mounted machine guns and one without.

Uh, the car with mounted machine guns can hit you from a lot further away than one without... a car with machine guns can also potentially rake fire over multiple targets... there's a huge mechanical difference...  *laugh*
"If you get shot enough times, your body will actually build up immunity to bullets. The real trick lies in surviving the first dozen or so..."
-- Pope Nag, RPG.net - UNKNOWN ARMIES

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 10:33:28 PM »
That's a good point, Chroma. The machine guns probably have the close/far range so that is a key mechanical difference. Thanks for pointing it out.

How would you handle the question I posed, though?

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 01:30:46 AM »
What move is being used?

If I'm using my car to seize, say, the other driver by force, and I describe ramming my car into the side of his, then dealing 3-harm to his automobile, with 2-harm AP blowing through to the driver seems appropriate.

I think the driver's car should take damage appropriate to the vehicle being hit.

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 02:29:34 AM »
In this case the Driver is attacking a small road gang who are driving bikes and cars. The gang is chasing after a couple in a car, and the Driver came up behind them.

He is using Sieze By Force to kill the Gang. My players are a blood thirsty lot :)

Sounds like you are leaning towards the same solution as me: Have him do 3-harm but then some deal some harm to his car due to the collision.

Really appreciate all the different views on this!

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 05:02:51 AM »
Sounds like a custom move to me:

When you use your car to ram another vehicle....

But other than that I'm out of ideas at the minute!

lumpley

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 11:24:21 AM »
Fun!

Nobody in any of my games has ever rammed anything with their car. :-(