Constitution overpowered?

• 37 Replies

sage

Re: Constitution overpowered?
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2012, 05:29:51 PM »
We still have the base stats because we're making uses for them. We don't feel we can cut them because they're classic, so instead we're making them useful.

For instance, you can carry up to your Strength score in 0-weight items for free, after that each is 1 weight.

Your soul is resurrectable for a number of days after death equal to your Wisdom score.

Your Charisma score is subtracted from some prices, in situations where a smile is worth a discount.

sage

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2012, 05:31:50 PM »
Possible revision:

Assign 17 to one of these three stats: Strength, Constitution, or Dexterity. Assign 15, 13, 11, 9, 8 to your remaining stats.

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2012, 05:35:38 PM »
I have run over 10 Dungeon World one-offs, most for people who haven't played the game before and assigning stats has never been a problem for any of those 40 or so players. Assigning stats, and in fact the entire character generation process, is very quick already. The biggest delay was buying equipment, but you've fixed that with the pre-chosen lists. Now the biggest time sink is telling each other about the characters, the GM asking questions, and writing bonds.

In fact, I think adding restrictions would slow it down: people would have to check that their selections fit the restrictions, there would be at least one discussion about wanting to break the restriction.

sage

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2012, 05:36:59 PM »
Though, really, anyone reading this should be using the "assign your stats as you please" rule anyway. Maybe it should be in the phrasing instead:

If this is your first time playing this class assign 17, 15, 13 to Strength, Consitution, and Dexterity, then assign 11, 9, 8 to your remaining stats. If you've played this class before assign 17, 15, 13, 11, 9, 8 as you please.

sage

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2012, 05:38:19 PM »
Anarchangel, any idea how many of those had already played D&D and therefore had basically already played DW?

In my personal experience playing with non-gamers we regularly had to pretty much just tell the newbie what to do with stats.

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2012, 05:41:24 PM »
Possible revision:

Assign 17 to one of these three stats: Strength, Constitution, or Dexterity. Assign 15, 13, 11, 9, 8 to your remaining stats.

This is a solution in search of a problem, IMO.

I think this is part of the GMs job at the start: introduce the playbooks, say what the stats do, answer questions.

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2012, 05:46:32 PM »
Anarchangel, any idea how many of those had already played D&D and therefore had basically already played DW?

In my personal experience playing with non-gamers we regularly had to pretty much just tell the newbie what to do with stats.

I would say most had played D&D before, but for those that hadn't (and in fact even for those that have, because WIS and INT work differently in DW than in D&D), a brief run through the stats and moves seems more elegant and useful.
e.g. "If you want to be smacking people in the face with your weapon, assign a high strength. If you want to be jumping around and swinging of chandeliers, assign a high dex. Etc etc."

Do you do that when you hand out character sheets?

sage

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2012, 05:48:45 PM »
I do that, but then you have to special case it for each playbook. Most recently the newbie played the Wizard, which meant having to point out that Intelligence was their spellcasting stat, etc. I don't want to have to do that all the time! Make the playbooks do that.

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2012, 05:51:28 PM »
What about a pregen stat selection.  So its assign your stats as you please or consider just using STR 17, DEX 13, CON 15, INT 8, WIS 9, CHA 11.  That way new players can have a suggested stat selection to work from if they want.

sage

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2012, 05:54:00 PM »
I know that everyone on this forum is great at making new rules and breaking the rules as they see fit, since they know the game. This isn't a rule for you! You use the other rule, the one that says "Assign your stats as you please."

The frustrating part for me is that we, as DW players, know that playing (for example) a 9 Wisdom Cleric is playing on Hard Mode. You'd better have a good idea what you're doing. The playbooks need to communicate that and I hate communicating it as a "recommendation." It should be the default that the Cleric has their highest score in Wisdom, anything else is advanced play for people who know what they're doing.

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2012, 06:00:54 PM »
I always point out the stats that are used to cast spells anyway, or that dex is used for thief-y stuff.

You could arrange the lines on the playbooks giving the array into a suggested array on each playbooks, but I really don't think it belongs in the rules proper.

e.g. Fighter: You have the following stats, arranged like this, or in some other order: Str 17(+2), Dex 15(+1), Con 13(+1), Int 11(0), Wis 9(0), Cha 8(-1).

sage

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2012, 06:02:45 PM »
The rules proper and the playbooks are the exact same, I think they'll stay that way.

But I did just suggest the same thing to Adam:

You have Strength 17, Constitution 13, Dexterity 15, Intelligence 9, Wisdom 11, and Charisma 8 by default. Swap stats as you please.

« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2012, 06:09:52 PM »
The frustrating part for me is that we, as DW players, know that playing (for example) a 9 Wisdom Cleric is playing on Hard Mode. You'd better have a good idea what you're doing. The playbooks need to communicate that and I hate communicating it as a "recommendation." It should be the default that the Cleric has their highest score in Wisdom, anything else is advanced play for people who know what they're doing.

I definitely see where you're coming from. The counter argument is that making it a rule means that people have to break the rules to do something interesting and I feel like DW's great strength over D&D is that you get to do all that interesting stuff that you could always do in D&D, but only when you broke the rules.

« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2012, 06:12:43 PM »
The rules proper and the playbooks are the exact same, I think they'll stay that way.

But I did just suggest the same thing to Adam:

You have Strength 17, Constitution 13, Dexterity 15, Intelligence 9, Wisdom 11, and Charisma 8 by default. Swap stats as you please.

And actually, that's pretty close to something you suggested up-thread as well:

If this is your first time playing this class assign 17, 15, 13 to Strength, Consitution, and Dexterity, then assign 11, 9, 8 to your remaining stats. If you've played this class before assign 17, 15, 13, 11, 9, 8 as you please.

« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2012, 06:17:12 PM »
This is more action than this forum has seen in a while. Quick Sage, suggest another rules change!