Starting HP in Dungeon World Beta 1.1

• 7 Replies
Starting HP in Dungeon World Beta 1.1
« on: February 26, 2012, 04:00:07 PM »
I can't tell if this is an explicit rules change between Basic and Beta or just inconsistent text, but do you add Constitution score or Constitution modifier to base class HP for starting HP?

Quote from: Page 21 of Beta 1.1
7. Set Starting HP
Your starting HP is equal to your class's base HP+Constitution score.

This is right under a table that distinguishes stat scores and modifiers.

However, all of the class chapters say +CON HP, e.g., Bard
Quote from: Page 31 of Beta 1.1
Your base HP is 5. You start with 5+CON HP.

The Bard 1.1 playbook spells out the stat, meaning the score,
Quote from: Beta 1.1 Bard playbook
Your base HP is 5. You start with 5+Constitution HP.
but the other playbooks have the abbreviation, but not in small caps. Does this mean the score or the modifier?
Quote from: Beta 1.1 Cleric playbook
Your base HP is 6. You start with 6+Con HP.

Re: Starting HP in Dungeon World Beta 1.1
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 04:57:21 PM »
It's the score, not the modifier. Beta 1.1 characters are tougher than their forebears.

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 09:33:29 PM »
The rules change was made explicit in the email that accompanied the Beta release, but it's one of those things that appears so often in the text that some of the references escaped their editorial eye.

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 09:52:17 PM »
Ah, I missed out on that email as I was admitted into the Adventurers' Guild after the Beta 1.1 announcement.

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 06:37:57 AM »
Ah, I missed out on that email as I was admitted into the Adventurers' Guild after the Beta 1.1 announcement.
Same here.  Thanks for highlighting this - I completely missed it.  I thought some of those monsters in the beta looked pretty damned tough.

Ifryt

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 05:42:22 AM »
Ok, so the Constitution score is added to starting HP. But don't you think that now there is a problem that only the Constitution score matters and for the rest of stats only modifiers?

In a few sessions I ran most players put their 15 into Constitution (that has the same modifier as 13).

Maybe it isn't a big deal, but I'm interested in your thoughts about it. :)

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 11:26:39 AM »
All I know so far is my players are suddenly delighted at having about an extra 10 or 12 hits.

Whether this delight continues once they start losing them in larger chunks remains to be seen.

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 11:44:07 AM »
Ok, so the Constitution score is added to starting HP. But don't you think that now there is a problem that only the Constitution score matters and for the rest of stats only modifiers?

There's a kind of awkward inelegance to it, but I don't think it's a problem as such. It only comes up during chargen, so it doesn't really bug me.

It's a bit old school itself actually: a little sub-system that doesn't quite match the core of the game.