What's a monster?

• 1 Replies
What's a monster?
« on: April 03, 2012, 07:49:21 PM »
During our sessions, I found it difficult, as the Keeper, to find a clear definition of "monster". Is it just the monster, the one written as such in the Mystery sheet? Or does the term encompass everything monstrous, including some minions? This is important because of the investigate a mistery move (which allows you to ask questions about "the monster"), the manipulate someone move (if monstrous minions are considered monsters, you can't manipulate them) and some other things I can't recall right now.

Re: What's a monster?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 08:17:43 PM »
Okay, there's two answers for the different moves:

- Investigation and the other info moves should apply to whatever you are hunting. I may go and change the wording to "creature" in those, just to make that clear.

- Manipulating minions... well, that depends on the minion. Obviously, minions that the hunters can't talk to are out. And human minions can definitely be manipulated. Those in-between cases, vampire minions and so on, you should decide on a case-by-case basis. I would suggest that whenever the hunters manipulate something unnatural, what counts as leverage should be something terrible that the hunters will not want to be part of. E.g., "Sure, I will release this woman if one of you lets me drink your blood."