Do the Dead Dream?

• 4 Replies
Do the Dead Dream?
« on: July 27, 2010, 11:12:41 AM »
Sweet!  With a sub-forum, now I'm not concerned about starting a bunch of threads on multiple topics.

So for anyone paying attention, I have a question.

I feel like I want a type of ghost that can infiltrate dreams and mess with them.  Obviously the living will be the primary victims of this power, but should ghosts be eligible as well?  Do ghosts dream, or is that one of the big differences between the living and the dead?

Re: Do the Dead Dream?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 12:38:54 PM »
I honestly can't remember whether wraiths dreamed in Wraith.  for Necrology, I'm leaning towards a No.  Right now, I'm thinking the closest thing to dreaming is when a ghost takes comfort in its chains but that's a different thing and probably not susceptible to manipulation and invasion in the same way that mortal dreams are.

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 05:31:36 PM »
I feel like ghosts don't dream.  I have no idea what it was in Wraith, but yeah - I'd agree with you there.  That does leave Sandmen a bit in the hole, though ... can't do much to ghosts, and can only affect sleeping mortals.

Maybe some of the illusion powers of the Haunters get moved over to Sandmen, and Haunters are more about possessing objects and places and producing physical effects (could even merge them with the machine-possessing playbook)?  Then, Sandmen can pull stuff out of dreams and nightmares, creating illusions perceptible to ghosts and waking mortals.

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 05:50:20 PM »
I was already thinking about the "pulling things out of dreams" idea for a move.  Not sure exactly how much I want to do with combining playbooks I've thought of so far, though... I'll probably have to make a stab at figuring out how many playbooks we need.  Probably 10ish, like AW proper... but I'm a little worried a lot of the playbook ideas might be too narrow.  Hmm, I'll see I guess.

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 03:10:12 AM »
For purely flavor reasons I'm leaning towards "ghosts don't dream" since they exist in some sort of state that allows them (or at least some of them) to enter dreams. To me it's kind of cool to suggest that dreams and ghosts are in the same 'place', and the cross-coloring that goes on thinking of dreams as ghostly and ghosts as dreamlike.