Review of Murderous Ghosts?

• 9 Replies

zmook

Review of Murderous Ghosts?
« on: February 19, 2012, 09:24:57 PM »
So, hm, how to put this -- do I want to buy Murderous Ghosts?  The mechanic sounds like it might be neat ("choose your own adventure, but with the bugs fixed", whatever that means), and I like the idea of a game that can be played with only two players.  On the other hand, intense horror doesn't really sound like my thing.  Or my fiancĂ©e's thing. 

Basically, I can't find a review or anything resembling an Actual Play for the game, and Vincent's merch copy (http://theunstore.com/index.php/unstore/game/128) is very short and very cryptic.  Can anyone who's played the game comment? 

I guess I could just give Vincent his $5 -- I'll probably do that anyway -- but that won't help sell the game to anyone else, right?

lumpley

Re: Review of Murderous Ghosts?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 08:35:39 AM »
The game is fun if you like the intense horror of being murdered by ghosts. If that's not your thing, for goodness sake don't buy the game.

lumpley

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 09:30:15 AM »
That said, I'd love to have some reviews and AP writeups to link people to. The best APs I've seen have been on twitter, funnily enough, and thus not great for these purposes.

Anybody got anything?

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 09:36:44 PM »
I don't really have a way with words, but I put up a post about it on my blog right around the time it came out: http://derailedgaming.wordpress.com/2011/10/28/murderous-ghosts/

edit: it's worth noting that I'm also not necessarily a big fan of horror, but I was definitely able to get enjoyment out of the game.
-Jeremiah

lumpley

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 11:01:13 AM »
That's a great review. Thanks!

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 03:11:02 PM »
I love the game, and I only rarely enjoy intense horror. The game experience was creepy and fairly intense (even playing in a crowded bar). The mechanics are delightful.

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 05:31:35 AM »
Ehya :D

Here there is a review I wrote, but it's in italian. I tried to translate it with Google Translator, anyway, and it seems to work a bit.

http://rpgshark.blogspot.com/2012/01/murderous-ghost.html

I hope you'll find it useful ;)

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 11:50:38 AM »
I have some AP posted on Story-Games in this thread.

Chroma

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 10:40:19 AM »
Played our first game of this yesterday... lots of fun... and the poor explorer died horribly...  I'll wait for the... victim... to post his thoughts... *laugh*
"If you get shot enough times, your body will actually build up immunity to bullets. The real trick lies in surviving the first dozen or so..."
-- Pope Nag, RPG.net - UNKNOWN ARMIES

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 01:50:57 PM »
Played our first game of this yesterday... lots of fun... and the poor explorer died horribly...  I'll wait for the... victim... to post his thoughts... *laugh*
Hahaha I was just about to post my thoughts on here when I saw that my Murderous MC already beat me to it. I died quick and I died well, I stand by that!

This was actually a lot more fun than I thought it would be. I was very pleasantly surprised and look forward to MC-ing it for my wife or one of my non-gamer friends to see how they might take to it. It also didn't hurt that right after playing MG that we played one HELL of a great session of AW. :)

As usual Baker, very frickin' well done!