Within the Devil's Reach

• 20 Replies
Within the Devil's Reach
« on: February 15, 2012, 08:47:41 PM »
Hey guys, I wanted to let you know that I am putting together a book with three Dungeon World adventures set in the backwater town of Devil's Reach. The three adventures in Within the Devil's Reach are meant to be introductory adventures you can play through seporately or chain them together. Within the Devil's Reach is going to feature some great art from Storn Cook and awesome maps from Dyson Logos. If you want to know more about it I am posting some articles on my site http://atthetablegames.com about it.

Is anyone else thinking about writing adventures for Dungeon World? Is there anybody else crazy enough to try and tackle writing a campaign for Dungeon World?

Re: Within the Devil's Reach
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 10:57:48 PM »
I've thought about what kind of form DW adventures and campaigns might take.  One of the challenges is that so much of the campaign can be generated through collaborative play.  One format that I thought might work is a sandbox style setting, without so much as a campaign arc, but with pages and pages of "starters" that loosely describe the various interesting locales and dangers spread around the region.

noofy

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 02:25:53 AM »
Oh. That's cool. Devil's Reach sounds awesome! Dyson is a huge inspiration for me, I use his maps all the time, and try to at least imbibe a little of his cartographic skills when I draw my own.

I had spent most of today doing just that. (Writing an Introductory teaching adventure as suggested over on story games.) Introducing the move architecture gently and making some of the chargen choices for the players so that the starting 'situation' is hard baked in. Love letters included and a step by step choice tree for the GM in response to various player moves with suggested GM moves in return. Um, do you want to team up JB? or would you rather 'go it alone'?

Oh and Glitch, that's spot on, I suggested a similar thing! Like marshall's starters, but dozens of them, grouped by theme, environment or arch-villian. I'd buy that :)

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 07:20:10 AM »
Glitch,

You should check out what Hans and Johnathan are working on with their Planarch Codex. It seems to be just what your talking about, lots of little bits of inspiration that GMs can use to build adventures around. It might give you some solid ideas if your looking to do the same thing.

Noofy,
I would definately be interested in at least collaborating on some of the adventures that I have planned and if that is successful letting you take on a few by yourself. Of course you are totally free to write your own adventures and put them out there yourself like I'm doing :) I'm just a fan trying to share the love.

noofy

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 08:51:08 PM »
Yay! I'd love to collaborate :)
Um, send me an email or I can whisper over at SG? Or I could just send you all the stuff I've been working on (which are just brainstorm ramblings at the moment, with some outlines of the finished 'product'.

Can't wait to contribute to Devil's Reach, or any other DW project!

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 08:53:42 PM »
Whisper me on SG and I'll give you the rough outline of the next few books and a challenge.

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 11:38:56 PM »
If I survive OrcCon intact, I might be interested in collaborating on this too.

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 01:09:37 AM »
Your doing the Living Dungeon World stuff right? That was part of what made me think about doing something like this.

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 04:53:30 AM »
I am! So we'll see if my immediate enthusiasm for things DW withstands a weekend of playing and talking about it! (Plus a week of dissecting and blogging about it afterwards!)

I'm glad we inspired some projects and hopefully we can recruit a few more players over the weekend!

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 05:56:34 AM »
I hope you guys do great with it, it sounds like a ton of fun.

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 07:24:30 AM »
The Kickstarter just went live! http://kck.st/AjWsWX The plan is to have the book, all three adventures and the town of Devil's Reach, ready for Gencon 2012. With your help I know we can make this book amazing!

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 02:25:33 PM »
I posted a, very long, Designer's Diary about Within the Devil's Reach over on RPGGeek. If you are interested in finding out more information about Devil's Reach please go check it out! And if you are interested in getting your hands on the book please give it a thumbs up and help push it up into the Hotness so that others can find out about it!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 03:02:59 PM by JBMannon »

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 12:13:56 PM »
And I posted my impressions of a beta version of the doc on my blog.

« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2012, 08:40:51 AM »
I did a much shorter post today on RPGGeek about the first adventure in Within the Devil's Reach, The Silent Tomb Speaks.

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2012, 07:09:02 AM »
Ziggurat of the Sun Princess is now available as a free download for everyone! In the update I also point you to places around the podosphere where Within the Devil's Reach is being talked about.