Hyborian Saga (Gavinwulf's Conan Hack)

• 16 Replies
Hyborian Saga (Gavinwulf's Conan Hack)
« on: January 26, 2012, 03:54:44 PM »
Here it is:
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0By4fR8hnM-BPNWRkNTNlMTktNjIxOS00YjY1LTg1NDktMGQ4NTg1NGE4ZWY4

Some notes:

First off, Simon Carrier's "World of Conan" was a heavy influence. Some of the playbooks are almost directly from his hack (Sorcerer, Sellsword) and yes, he gave me permission to use his stuff. Thanks again.

Second, because I recently changed the Wyrd move from "swear an oath" to "discern the unnatural" some things might need to be changed in the playbooks. This also makes the Augury move a few of the playbooks have different. I made a half-hearted attempt at what Augury does now in The Sage's playbook.

the Stats are:

Allure =Hot
Fierce =Hard
Grace =Cool
Wits =Sharp
Wyrd =Weird

"Inflict Brutality" is the same as "Go Aggro"
"Wade into Battle" is the same as "Seize by Force"
"Strive against Peril" is the same as "Act under Fire"
"Discern the Unnatural" is like open your brain but for all the weird supernatural stuff in the Hyborian Age.

Anyway, I've only ran this once in a 6-session story arc for 4 players. It worked very well and everyone loved it. As discussed in another thread the "Swear an Oath" move was a little hokey.
I'm totally open to suggestions and even now I have ideas to edit it some more to make it more 'original' I guess.

Re: Hyborian Saga (Gavinwulf's Conan Hack)
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 03:46:33 AM »
The quality of the doc is completly astonishing !
Now I know what I'll read this w-e. ;)

Thx again Gavinwulf.

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 10:54:44 AM »
Hah, well all I did was use a pdf editor on Vincent's playbooks. That's why I sent him a copy and wanted to get official permission.

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 03:02:50 PM »
This looks really cool. I'm not a Conan fan myself but this makes me want to try it. :)

What program did you use to edit these? I'd love to try something like this someday.

Well done!

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 03:33:24 PM »
Thanks, I used foxit pdf editor. It's nothin fancy like Adobe's Creative Elements thing but it's simply and easy to use for an amateur like me.

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 04:40:03 AM »
Gavinwulf,
I noticed some minor typo (ex: hocus mentionned in the cultist playbook, some weapon with the autofire tag) but nothing serious.

I need to read all the playbooks a second time now, writing down all my questions. :)

During your play, did you took the time to write a summary of your play sessions ?
If yes, I'd be interested in reading it.

Thx.

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 10:47:55 AM »
Thanks Warzen, I'm sure there are plenty of typos. I'll have to take the time to edit the doc. Please, point them out for me. :)
(Also, I realize that everywhere there is a 'z' it's lower case cause there was no capital Z in the original document's font. An the Augury moves are different in the Cultists's playbook, The Sage's is the right one). Still a work in progress I guess.

I just changed the Autofire tag to "Cleave" and I probably missed some.

I started an AP thread entitled "AP: Hyborian Saga! Awesome!" in the Apocalypse World forum, pg 8 I believe. But I didn't report beyond the 1st session (6 session campaign). Still, it's the last game I ran about a couple months ago, so I'm sure I can answer any questions you had about how the game went.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 10:53:37 AM by Gavinwulf »

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 05:02:24 AM »
Gavinwulf, I plan to run my first AW game using your hack in May.
I'll let you know how things turn out (most probably bloody and messy ^^ )

Thx again for this great hack !

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 12:10:18 AM »
Awesome! I'll be interested in hearing how it goes for your group!

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2012, 08:37:05 PM »
Gavinwulf, I plan to run my first AW game using your hack in May.
I'll let you know how things turn out (most probably bloody and messy ^^ )

Thx again for this great hack !

Could you record and put your sessions online? I think there should be more actual plays of AW

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2012, 12:19:30 PM »
I've read the playbooks, and I think there could be a Slaver to act as some kind of Hoarder. Also some kind of Pirate and King, don't know. Could you work it out?

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 06:11:05 PM »
Glad this is getting a little attention at least :)

A King or Slaver would fall under the Ruler playbook. A Pirate would either be a Sellsword or Rogue with a boat.

One of the reasons I made my own hack instead of using Simon Carrier's "World of Conan" is because I preferred less specific archetypes. His hack has a Pirate, Tyrant, Thief, and Slave playbook. If that is what you prefer, check it out. It's a great hack.

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2012, 01:01:28 AM »
As my group and I are currently playing straight-up Apocalypse World. I'm looking to re-vamp my Conan Hack.
The one posted is basically a reskin of AW with some ideas nabbed from Simon Carryer's World of Conan (used with permission).

My goal is to make it more original. Right now I'm looking for ideas on how to make the combat system more visceral feeling. I like Dungeon World's Hack n Slash move. I'm thinking of combining that with weapon tags. Making the type of weapon you use more important.

When you Wade into Battle, roll+ Fierce. On a 10+ inflict harm and activate your weapon's tag. On a 7-9, exchange harm normally.

Weapons:

Light weapons: 1Harm, +1 Forward on 10+
Reach and Ranged weapons: 1Harm, Avoid Harm on 10+
Heavy Weapons: 1Harm, +1Harm
Two-Handed Weapons: 1Harm, +2Harm on 10+

This makes weapons generally do less harm. So I'm thinking of making the Harm 'Wheel' have four sections instead of 6.
This brings us to Armor...

tossing around the ideas of Armor either adding to your 'Suffer Harm' roll with rolling high being good; not using harm to modify the roll. Or peices of armor adding 'spokes' to your harm wheel. ????

What do you think?

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2012, 06:36:33 AM »
As my group and I are currently playing straight-up Apocalypse World. I'm looking to re-vamp my Conan Hack.
The one posted is basically a reskin of AW […] My goal is to make it more original.

Anyone wanting to make playbooks with more control over the content can use LibreOffice https://www.libreoffice.org/ to edit the templates I used for my A4-sized playbooks:

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2012, 06:48:12 AM »
This looks really nice! The playbooks make a great gallery of character types for a kind of fantasy game that would suit my taste, I especially like how much of the core mechanics are kept from AW proper.  Oh, and the Monster makes me all fuzzy and warm inside. :)

I'm currently making a simple hack for a more Burning Wheel or Game of Thrones style game. I might ask to borrow some of you stuff here, if that's okay.