When you eat someone`s heart...

• 7 Replies
When you eat someone`s heart...
« on: January 12, 2012, 06:06:59 PM »
I just started my new campaign and there is this faceless guy, who eats hearts of people he killed. So I try to create a move:

If you eat someone`s still beating heart, roll +weird. MC will tell you something interesting about them. On a 10+ get +1forward. On a 7-9 their soul wants you to do something. Get +1forward if you do it. On a miss you get -1forward.

I`m not sure, if this is enough? Is it better to add something more? What do you think?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 06:11:54 PM by Petra Bootmann »

Re: When you eat someone`s heart...
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 07:49:46 PM »
I like the soul compelling you to do something, but +1 forward seems a bit tame.    Maybe the soul always wants you to do something, but on a 10+ you mark XP instead.  Depends on if you see this being something other PCs are likely to try, or if this is a custom move just for the faceless.

For general use, I think I'd go for something more loose, like +Weird and Open Your Brain, but instead of opening to the world's psychic maelstrom, you're opening it to mind (soul?) of the person consumed.

Colin

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 08:08:17 PM »
What about - when you eat the heart of someone you killed, Open your brain using +Hard, on a hit the MC will tell you something new and interesting how they are connected to the current situation. On a 7-9 the soul will ask something of you in return for this information.

Now it is a slightly more focused open your brain move using Hard with a diff draw back.

- Colin

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 10:46:39 PM »
What about this?

When you eat someone`s you killed stillbeating heart, you open your brain to their soul: roll +weird. On a hit MC will tell you something interesting how they`re connected to the current situation. The soul wants you to do something in return for the information: on 10+ get experience if you do it, 7-9 act under fire if you don`t and get +1 forward after you do it. On a miss the soul asks those she`s connected for revenge and get -1forward.

I`m not sure if this move isn`t too strong, it`s similar to faceless` move "Norman" (but without marking experience) - so it could look like it`s a free move for him. I thought about removing +1forward - I just don`t want them to eat hearts just to get magical +1:)

Colin: I don`t understand the idea of rolling +hard in such psychic thing (it`s not a test if he`s going to vomit this heart ;) ).

weenog42: I took your direction.

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 09:04:28 AM »
If you eat the still-beating heart of your victim, the MC will reveal to you that person's dream.  Now their dream is in your heart too.  Take +1 ongoing to any attempt to accomplish the dream.  Act under fire any time you oppose the dream.

If you eat from the still-firing brain of your victim, you will learn things; roll+weird.  On a hit, mark experience.  On a 10+ ask the MC any question that you could have asked your victim.  On a miss, you learn that your victim is now riding along inside your head.  Good luck with that.

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 03:39:06 AM »
Seems to me this depends a lot on the character's tone, why s/he eats hearts, etc. But it's an evocative turn of phrase, so I could not resist.

-

When you eat your victim's still-beating heart, roll +weird.

On a 10+, it is delicious. You hold 2.
On a 7-9 it is bitter. You hold 1.

You may spend your hold at any time to:

* Know one thing that its owner knew.
* Do one thing as its owner would do it.
* Appear for a moment as its owner appeared.
* Track those who share its heart's-blood.
* Let their heart bleed instead of yours.

(Take +1 forward or 1 less harm, when appropriate.)

On a miss it is poison. Its owner demands a task of you, and you take -1 forward until you complete the task, or purge the blood.

All unspent hold is lost when you eat a new heart. If the last heart you ate tasted of poison, you must come to terms with its demand before using this move again. Any hearts eaten meanwhile are filling, but taste of ash.

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 02:16:12 AM »
When you eat the still-beating heart of someone that you have personally defeated in combat, your spirit battles to consume theirs. Roll +cool.

On a 10+, gain +1 Weird to a max of +3. If your Weird is already +3, treat this as a 7-9
On a 7-9, the dying soul has unfinished business. Complete a specific task for them and gain 1 Weird (or mark experience if your weird is +3 already)
On a 2-6, the dying soul has unfinished business. Act under fire if you do anything but complete it.

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 12:25:54 PM »
Daniel,

I love that move.  I want to make a heart-eater now, just to get that move! So many great possibilities.